6 replies to this topic
  • douglasw

Posted October 25, 2004 - 05:59 PM

Is there any weight difference in stock flywheel from (03)to (04) yz450f ???

• bigc

Posted October 25, 2004 - 06:07 PM

i believe the 04 is a little heavier.

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2004 - 07:51 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the '04 flywheel is basically the '03 GYT-R flywheel, which is 5oz heavier. That doesn't sound like a lot, but since it is a ring weight welded over the flywheel, all of that extra weight is added to the outside diameter of the flywheel where it is the most effective. Dubach Racing (Dr.D)makes theirs this way. They make a 4, 6, and eight ounce weighted flywheels and the '04 falls between the two lighter ones. Makes a positive difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brown77

Posted October 26, 2004 - 08:18 AM

i have an 03 with a 8oz GYT-R flywheel
it makes the power sooooo much smother ,but does not totally take away form the power (snap)we all like :cry:
it makes it smother on jump faces and wont stall as easy and easier to start

• bluerider450

Posted October 26, 2004 - 09:19 AM

is it hard to change a flywheel on a dirt bike ? and so heavyer smoothens the power out a little?

• Scooter426

Posted October 26, 2004 - 03:38 PM

I have an 04 yz450 and it has an 8 oz flywheel weight. The weight helps the motor to accelerate slower, making the power more tractable. Some riders feel that the 03 yz had too huge a hit and this makes it more manageable. I rode an 03 without one first and then with an 8oz weight, and it made a substantial difference. Still had sinus clearing acceleration in grippy conditions, but very fun and rideable.

-scooter :cry:

• bluerider450

Posted October 26, 2004 - 04:09 PM

yeah my 04 has a poop load of power it was hard getting used to but i like it its a big difference fomr my neighbors crf450

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.