Death Valley Ride

8 replies to this topic
  • Moredesert

Posted September 15, 2002 - 04:12 PM

Has anybody ever ridden in Death Valley?

I go twice a year to explore the back country of DV and the Panamint mountain range.

I'm going on a tour 11/7-11/10 in Death Valley and was thinking of going early or staying later to get a couple more days in. Anyone interested? I do 150 - 250 miles a day. 15% street so you need to be dual sported. Or if your interested take the tour with me.

[ September 16, 2002, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Moredesert ]

• Ken_Jones

Posted September 16, 2002 - 11:36 AM

You bet, the Goller wash area is great. I dig the cabins sprinkled around that are all set up for overnighters too... Let me check my calender, I've been hankering for a Death Valley trip lately.

Ride on...

• Slow_Poke

Posted September 16, 2002 - 01:35 PM

Doing death valley 10/25-10/27. Leaving from las vegas and staying at stagecoach inn in beatty,nv. Rooms $35 a night for two queen beds, 24 hour restaurant, bar, gambling, pool and jacuzzi. We have roll charts for different routes but always add a couple side trails not included on the charts. Total miles for last few trips have been around 700 miles for the three days. Couple other thumpertalk members going such as foobarr. Anything technial, steep or just plain interesting will get a mandatory stop. Resting only allowed while we lift the bike off

• Slow_Poke

Posted September 16, 2002 - 01:44 PM

Noticed you mentioned panamint springs and wanted to say that i have a roll chart for ridgecrest to panamint springs and back. The return route has some side trails that are made for the riding gods. Real scarey, steep, switchback, lord please dont let me die goat trails with a half dozen water falls tossed in to make you

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted September 16, 2002 - 02:56 PM

Sound like I should hook up with you. I base camp at Panamint and ride loops from there. I also camp at the camp grounds by Scotty's castle. I only volunteered to sweep for this DV ride because it's hard to find buddies to go with. I found a good map with GPS markings on it at Scotty's castle. We don't use roll charts just the GPS. The longest loop was 261 miles. I must have loged 2500 miles in that area. Have you ever been to crank shaft juction? I have a ton of pictures of DV if your interested. Love that place. This will be the first time with the 650. The last two times I rode the DRZ and before that was the XR600.

Posted September 17, 2002 - 06:33 AM

hey i'm new to this kind of riding, mostly been to the desert around barstow and we would do 15 to 20 mile rides, come back to camp rest have a soda and go out again, I can't imagin a hundred mile ride, were do you gas up and i better hit the gym for some endurance traing but sounds like a good time!! maybe next yeat i will have that kind of endurance!!

• lisa'sxr4

Posted September 17, 2002 - 09:36 PM

Sounds like alot of fun! We ride mainly desert - near Landers.

Keep us posted for next year - as we should have our desert tanks & dual sport kits by then!

• Moredesert

Posted September 17, 2002 - 12:53 PM

It's not as bad as it sounds, It's all fast open desert. Just a lot of rocks and sand. We travel on Jeep roads and 4x4 trails. It's a state park so you can't go real off roading. In most cases it's too rocky to drive off the dirt roads anyway.

There are some really cool places to ride to. Titus canyon is a must, gold mines, ghost towns, mountain peeks. It's all good.

You need to be able to ride 120 miles at a time. There isn't very many gas stations around. I have a 4.3 gal tank for the XR and a 4.2 for the DRZ. We have even carried a 1 gal jug just for good luck when we did a 150 mile loop with 160 mile range on the DRZ. Just don't make a wrong turn.

Posted September 18, 2002 - 06:37 AM

That does sound cool, post agian for next year I sighned up for the gym to get in shape and a desert tank is easy. have fun this year and will see you out their next year!!

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.