valve train life

2 replies to this topic
  • james_b

Posted September 14, 2002 - 04:01 AM

i have heard in the past, that when you stored a 4-stroke, you should do so with the piston at TDC. reason being that the valve springs are not compressed, therefore they will hold up better over the long run as far as seat pressure and valve train life( they wont sack out) any ideas? i'm new the four stroke thing and was curious as to what you guys think. i think i heard old timers refer to this as an old BSA trick, but not sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted September 18, 2002 - 02:32 PM

If your going to put the bike in a time capsule I might think of something like that. Just treat it like a car. It's not going to have any problems. I think the fuel would be a bigger consideration. Now I did have a problem with an old Honda 90 I left out side in the rain for a couple of years. There was no mufler and the ext valve was open. The valve and seat had rusted and I lost all compression.

• motometal

Posted September 18, 2002 - 05:05 PM

a good quality spring won't sack out this easilly. Being partially compressed shouldn't hurt anything. This also applies to fork springs.

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.