Just bought a 04 wr 450f, and have a few questions?

4 replies to this topic
  • ridedakota24

Posted October 25, 2004 - 06:31 AM

Hey i was planning on getting the wr 250f and test drove it then decided it didnt have the power i wnated so i tried the 450 and loved it i just wanted some advice on how to keep the bike in its best condition, do could u guys tell me what u do to keep the bike in good shape. thanks

• MathProf

Posted October 25, 2004 - 06:41 AM

One point to pay attention to is the correct chain tension.

Too tight and you'll loosen up your sprocket bolts and risk
breaking the rear hub. Check the manual and follow the directions.

Depending on what you want out of the bike, I changed the springs at both ends. I was unsure about what to expect. It really made the bike behave better and I could focus more on riding and less on what the bike was going to do.

Get oil filters online, get a magnetic oil plug, and change the oil every 200 miles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Treebark

Posted October 25, 2004 - 07:15 AM

Get oil filters online for sure and change oil often 150 - 200 miles. The suspension is great I haven't had to do any mods, just play with the comp/rebound clickers and raised the oil level in forks. The only thing I've had to do to the bike was the Free mods and invested in Skid plates, frame gaurds, and most important RADIATOR Gaurds. The biggest problem I've had with the bike brand new was the E button poping out of the switch when the bike was dropped. I bought 2 switchs and was fed up with the $35 bill every time I could not find the button and spring inside. I bought a aftermarket kill switch that was suggested on this forum and that is no longer a concern. It really is a great bike just start and go, ocasionally stop, wait, and laugh at the Red and Orange bike riders to either start or fix their bikes. :cry:

• Endurordr

Posted October 25, 2004 - 07:25 AM

Where is the best place to buy oil filters online?...and what is the best oil to use? I'm new to the 450 as well. Rode it for the first time yesterday and love it.

• Treebark

Posted October 25, 2004 - 07:40 AM

Call the TT store great service. I use Mobil 1 15W50 RED cap.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.