Spark Plug Access

7 replies to this topic
  • Hoss

Posted July 06, 2001 - 12:19 PM

I just sold my XR650R and bought the WR 400. Great bike. I have a simple question, How do you access the spark plug?? Do I need to remove the seat/tank to change the plug or there is an easier way?

• fourstroker

Posted July 06, 2001 - 12:23 PM

I own a 2001 WR426 and I have to remove both my seat and tank to access my plug. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Mark
(HIGHLAND, ILLINOIS)

• Hoss

Posted July 06, 2001 - 12:29 PM

Thank you,

Originally posted by fourstroker:
I own a 2001 WR426 and I have to remove both my seat and tank to access my plug. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Mark
(HIGHLAND, ILLINOIS)

• jset670

Posted July 06, 2001 - 12:33 PM

If you have the factory plug wrench you do not have to remove anything but the plug wire. I have a 98 WR400 and it works fine without removing anything else.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 06, 2001 - 02:24 PM

Originally posted by jset670:
If you have the factory plug wrench you do not have to remove anything but the plug wire. I have a 98 WR400 and it works fine without removing anything else.

In the words of the immortal Gary Coleman, "What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?!"

• tonymontana

Posted July 06, 2001 - 02:25 PM

Hoss most important, take the tank and seat off and LOOK inside the spark plug hole and check for dirt before you take the plug out. If there is any dirt, blow it out with compressed air first. Otherwise it'll fall inside your cylinder, in which case you might as well run it without an air cleaner.
:)

------------------
Tony Montana
01 WR426

• Dennis'_WR426

Posted July 06, 2001 - 02:30 PM

I never tried to use that crappy plug wrench or tried to remove the plug without removing seat and tank. I own a 01 WR426. It really doesn't take that long to remove that stuff. Besides you may want to use some air before removing the plug to get the water and crap out of there. My 2 cents
Dennis :)

• YamaCazi

Posted July 08, 2001 - 12:57 PM

It only takes about 6 minutes to remove the two seat bolts the rubber tension strap, fuel line and the two inner tank mount bolts, change the plug and reassemble ready to ride. Or as has been suggested you could use the knuckle buster Yamaha Plug wrench and take the chance of droping debris in the cylinder hole and go for the 6 hour upper end rebuild......

I like the 6 minute way myself, it also gives me time to look for wire chaffing and other things that you don't see on a daily basis.

Bonzai.........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.