Need bar mounted GPS recommendation

7 replies to this topic
  • billyj7175

Posted September 10, 2002 - 07:56 AM

I have a Garmin E-Trex GPS unit that I was looking into a handlebar mount for it, but I read some bad feedback about the mount itself, so I was thinking of buying a whole new GPS unit just for my XR.
Any recommendations on a handlebar mounted unit? How durable? What works, and what doesn't?

• Joe_Wytman

Posted September 10, 2002 - 10:44 AM

I will have a Dash for the Garman/Cyco active mount and an ICO soon www.joeracerprodicts.com

• PowerCell

Posted September 10, 2002 - 12:43 PM

Garmin makes a pretty good handlebar mount for the eTrex that replaces the back door. I recomend you tape your batteries together to help reduce intemitant re-booting. One good bump and the eTrex will shut itself off.

• Dutch

Posted September 10, 2002 - 01:08 PM

I hope you are more carefull with the products than you are with the spelling ---
http://www.joeracerproducts.com/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thor62

Posted September 10, 2002 - 01:45 PM

I'm probably stating the obvious here. But, when I was choosing handlebars to go on my Pro Taper clamp, I only considered the ones with a cross-bar. I'm not in the market for a GPS, but I thought about mounting some trail repair supplies there. I went with the Renthal Twinwall (that's not a plug...just my choice!). There's a few others with cross-bars, but most of the 1 1/8" bars lack them. I look for little places to stash stuff, but there aren't a whole lot on the XR. It seems a shame to relinquish the possible uses of a cross-bar.

• billyj7175

Posted September 10, 2002 - 08:33 PM

Thanks a bunch for the input. Actually I was in a hurry and didn't think about doing a search on the subject, so when I did, I got a wealth of info on the subject.
I found that the RAM mount for the ETrex seems to be the best bet. Anybody have any feedback on the handlbar mount that they make?
I like the idea of mounting it more towards the center of the bars, rather than out on the ends, where it would be more apt to be damaged in a crash.

• wrong

Posted September 11, 2002 - 02:18 AM

RAM mount is the only way to go. Ive got 2 etrex's 2 RAM's=0 problems. On standard bars, I mount mine in between the bar clamps on the fat portion of the bar. Then I turn the unit sideways which puts it barely above the crossbar-out of harms way.

[ September 11, 2002, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: wrong ]

• MEBB

Posted September 11, 2002 - 03:36 AM

Ditto the Ram mount - I have the ETrex Vista and Ram mount.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.