XR650L wheel bearing removal.. Someone PLEASE HELP... PLEASE

5 replies to this topic
  • happytrails

Posted October 24, 2004 - 09:34 AM

I want to repace the wheel bearings in a 99 650L since I am going to keep it and take it touring.. I cannot get the bearings to come out in the front or rear. I usually use a socket and hammer and pound them out but this is not working.. I removed the retainer etc.. Is there a trick?? I don't want to mess up the hubs.. Please someone explain this.. I will be you a round should our trails ever cross.
:cry: :cry:

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted October 24, 2004 - 11:09 AM

Seems to me you need a special tool for this but im not sure cause I've never done this. Try taking the wheels to a dealer im sure they have the tools to do it. :cry:

• MotoChris521

Posted October 24, 2004 - 12:15 PM

You have to use a punch and tap them out from the back side out-Like with the wheel on the ground ,sprocket side up,you would stick a punch thru the axle hole to the inside of the brake side bearing.You only use a socket to install them.The hub has a flange the brg's rest against.They are not knocked into the hub ,they are kocked away from it. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • happytrails

Posted October 24, 2004 - 12:53 PM

I figured there was ledge they rested against but how do you get an edge on the bearing opposite side of the sprocket? The space collar between bearing running the length of the axle makes it impossible for me to make solid contact with the opposite bearing.. I cant get a solid edge to pound against. Very frustrating. Thanks for your help.

• MotoChris521

Posted October 24, 2004 - 01:02 PM

The spacer collar moves.You have to tap it ,to offset it a little.Believe me i replaced my bearings on my old '94L.The bearing kinda hold the collar tight ,but if you tap the collar with a punch it will move a little. :cry:

• gizmo350

Posted October 24, 2004 - 02:45 PM

The spacer collar moves.You have to tap it ,to offset it a little.Believe me i replaced my bearings on my old '94L.The bearing kinda hold the collar tight ,but if you tap the collar with a punch it will move a little. :cry:

1. make sure you are hammring the outer side of the bering.
2. after you took the berungs out take a soket the size of the bering and use it to pund it in.put it in as even as possieble or it will brake! if u havent done it before u might went to have a spair bering jest in case.
:cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.