Brush guards

27 replies to this topic
  • av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 24, 2004 - 07:03 AM

Should I run plain plastic brush guards on the handle bars or the guards with the aluminum reinforcement to keep my levers straight?

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 24, 2004 - 07:40 AM

Yes get the reinforced Bark busters for sure! the other ones are really for MX guys to keep their grips clean. :cry:

• Endurordr

Posted October 25, 2004 - 07:44 AM

I've ran the regualar plastic ones for years now and never had a problem. Unless you plan on playing ping-pong off the trees the standard plastic ones will be fine...I've put mine through their fair share of abuse and still have all my fingers.

• wr_tree

Posted October 25, 2004 - 08:13 AM

I agree, get the reinforced brush guards. I have been using them for years and they work great (and have been "tested" many times :cry:) Also, it is nice to be able to grab onto them to pull/push/drag your bike when needed.

• oldbones

Posted October 25, 2004 - 09:02 AM

Check out the Tusk Dflex handguards. They are $50 from Rocky Mountain, so the TT store should be able to beat that for you. They are the toughest handguards I have found, and also the best price. Also, you can replace the plastic part cheap if they get tore up. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted October 25, 2004 - 10:39 AM

the reinforced ones also strengthen the bars for the occasional bar to earth connection! :cry:

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 26, 2004 - 02:14 PM

The reason I brought up this question is because a friend said the reinforced ones are dangerous. He thinks that a slip-up during a crash could cause your hands to slide into the brush guard between the bar and the reinforcement bar on the guard. I think thats just a tall tail and he is paranoid. :cry:

• chipwich

Posted October 26, 2004 - 08:14 PM

hehe, if you crash so hard that both hands come off, and your body gets in position that you could actually insert both arms into the small and flat openings created by your bark busters, you will have a lot more to worry about :cry: :cry: :cry:

worse is having your 2 smallest fingers crushed between a tree, a clutch or brake lever, and your handlebars. reinforced handguards are a necessity for woods riding.

• wr_tree

Posted October 26, 2004 - 09:09 PM

hehe, if you crash so hard that both hands come off, and your body gets in position that you could actually insert both arms into the small and flat openings created by your bark busters, you will have a lot more to worry about :cry: :cry: :cry:

worse is having your 2 smallest fingers crushed between a tree, a clutch or brake lever, and your handlebars. reinforced handguards are a necessity for woods riding.

Don't forget about trying to ride home with a broken clutch lever - this is always alot of fun.

Tree slap on the wrists is no fun but all of the people I know that have brush guards have the metal ones, primarily to keep their levers from getting busted off.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 27, 2004 - 12:22 PM

Thats what I think. The risk of slipping into the guards during a getoff has alot less likelyhood of happening than breaking a lever or a bush/tree hitting your hand without the guard. Having the guard outweighs the risk of "slippage"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted October 28, 2004 - 01:25 PM

Last summer my buddy and I were ripping up a 2-trac trail - nose to tail- and he hit the end of a big branch sticking out of the brush. Due to the fact that I was right behind him I also hit the branch. the branch was at handlebar height and buddy ,without bark busters, shattered his hand and wrist,. Me, with bark busters-reinforced, had my hand slip off the handlebar due to the force of the hit. My hand punched the inside of the barkbuster and scraped my knuckles up a bit but my hand was in good shape otherwise. I always hear the broken wrists story when the guards are mentioned. I don't know of anyone who has ever broken their wrists because of the guards. If they did break their wrist then they probably would have broken them anyway even without the guards. My.02---WR Dave. :cry:

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 28, 2004 - 02:39 PM

I've got both types, metal bark busters on the WRF and plastic "wind guards" on the XRL. Go with metal. You are more likely to benefit from the metal ones than from the plastic only. One crash or incidental contact with a fixed object with the plastic guards and you'll be wishing you had the metal ones.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 29, 2004 - 05:58 PM

My thoughts exactly Dual_dog and WR_dave. Thanks for the confermation stories

• TallBoysWRF

Posted October 30, 2004 - 06:49 PM

The reason I brought up this question is because a friend said the reinforced ones are dangerous. He thinks that a slip-up during a crash could cause your hands to slide into the brush guard between the bar and the reinforcement bar on the guard. I think thats just a tall tail and he is paranoid. :cry:

How about this for "dangerous"! If you are riding in the woods, your buddy had better eat his own foot. In short...

This past weekend at a trail event there was this CR250 rider. He did not have aluminum hand guards. He was hammering along in about 3rd gear. He hit a tree... He is now missing about half of one of the fingers on his right hand! If your buddy thinks it is more dangerous to ride without the aluminum guards, he is plain dumb (unless all he rides is moto x) In the case I am talking about, the lever smashed the guys finger against the bars with enough force to CUT IT OFF! If that is not enough reason to buy the aluminum bark busters, I don't know what is. The guy would still be in bad shape, as he hit his head hard enough to go blind for a while, and the exhaust pipe practically blew up and his right radiator is well... gone, but he would still have an intact hand. :cry:

• The_Missile

Posted November 01, 2004 - 06:06 AM

Metal metal metal - Cycra Cycra Cycra

- saves fingers - the number of fingers I would have to have to still retain 10 if I hadn't!!
- saves levers - I have stiopped replacing bent levers
- strong like hell - MAJOR interaction with tree was absorbed by my cycra mounting strut....1/2 inch
cross section got bent intsead of my bars and my headlight and countless other items.
- look great - well this one doesnt really count unless you want it to !!

You dont have to have a major spill for these to work. Countless saved finger bruises,
levers from lo speed get offs of slippery slide-falls make my Cycras one of the best
investments I have made as they really do work they save money and help me avoid pain.

• Grandville

Posted November 01, 2004 - 09:35 AM

Metal-GOOD keeps fingers and levers from breaking.

Metal w/Flexible Plastic-BETTER-also keeps mud and small brush off hands. flexible plastic dosen't crack and is cheap to replace.

Metal w/Flexible Plastic and ond piece design-BEST-also protects headlight, odometer, speedometer, etc.

See www.woodsblaster.com
:cry:

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted November 01, 2004 - 11:45 AM

I heard that you should only ride the plastic brush guards. If you run the metal ones, during your graceful dismount, for full style points, you need to grab your ankles & kiss your ass goodbye. The metal brush guards trap the hands, inturrupting the whole ass-kissing-goodbye sequence. :cry:

It's all crap. Metal protects stuff that needs protection, IE:hands, wrists, brake, and clutch levers. I don't see how a plastic guard would prevent the whole trapping thing, if it were a true dilemma, anyways.

I've pulled my Acerbis Rally guards (plastic only) for the newer Rally Pros (metal & plastic integrated). Metal is your friend! :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted November 01, 2004 - 03:16 PM

Metal is the only way. I prefer Cycra probend because of the clearance and optional triple clamp mount. If you go with the triple clamp mount option just be sure to order the longer pinch bolts (not included). Or make sure you have a really good hardware store nearby.

I also like those woodblaster I think, the ones that stretch across the entire bar for electronic protection.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 01, 2004 - 05:28 PM

Why are the cycra pro bend type such a favorite? What advantage does that bend in the bar give. I have the moose type and like them just fine. :cry:

Also why do you guys think the woodsblaster single piece units are worth 120 some bucks? I would think it way cheaper/easier to take an old hand guard, bend it and bolt it between the two inner handle bar mounts. :cry: It would be easier to repair after a nasty crash too.

• oldbones

Posted November 01, 2004 - 07:09 PM

I notice the talk of the possibility of getting your hand/wrist caught up in the handguards during a dismount. I am a witness, and can tell you for sure, this can happen, and the results can be truly gruesome. Recently, at a fun and easy motox track nearby, the rider in front of me crashed off the side of a jump. I hopped off my bike to help cause he wasn't getting up. First thing I saw was the two bones of his arm sticking straight out at me, and his wrist and hand hanging limply down at a 90 degree angle. He was in complete, unbelievable agony, and there wasn't a damn thing I could do to help him. All I could do was go direct traffic around the crash site and try to keep my lunch down while waiting for the ambulance to show up.

He was running heavy metal type bark busters, and got his hand caught as he went over the bars. Bad news for sure!

I run that type too, and still do. I ride mostly woods and off road, and they have saved me many times. But, that crash still creeps me out, and would be enough to convince me not to run my full metal handguards at the moto track.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.