Done my valve check...Question?

4 replies to this topic
  • undrdog

Posted October 24, 2004 - 04:18 AM

After 5 hours on bike, I found the intakes were within spec.
The exaust were both at 20mm. which is at the tight end of spec. So I pulled out the two shims and they were both #182 pads, so I replaced them with #175 pads. My clearance now is 27mm a little on the loose side. Is this going to be o-k ? I was figuring that the exaust valves would stretch the most from the heat, makeing them fall out of spec faster if I would have left them both at 20mm. Maybe I should have put 180s in there ?

• twowheellen1

Posted October 24, 2004 - 06:31 AM

The manufactures specs take care of average conditions that they expect the engine to be in such as heat. Therefore as long as you are within their spec.s on the vavle adjustment you will be fine. A pro racer might try to get it 100% perfect but, they spend a lot more on motor work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • undrdog

Posted October 24, 2004 - 06:50 AM

The range spec. on the exaust valves according to the book should be 20mm to 25mm, mine is at 27mm after I changed shims. I figure better to be to loose than to tight!

• ovrrdrive

Posted October 24, 2004 - 09:10 AM

Well that depends...

Does an exhaust valve typically tighten up or loosen up over time?

That would be my deciding factor on being on one extreme or the other.

• SXP

Posted October 24, 2004 - 09:50 AM

I've run into the same problem and have run the valves on the loose side without any problems. The valves always tighten up (valves receed into the head), so the next time you look at them chances are they will be bang on. Rule of thumb - better loose than tight. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.