yz426 engine question

5 replies to this topic
  • jake27

Posted October 22, 2004 - 06:49 PM

I blew my 426 up and just got all of the parts back that I needed to fix it.I got a new head and cylinder along with Kibblewhite valves,I had the cylinder bored and plated to a 440 and had the head ported, I also installed a Wiseco high compression piston. I used my Hot cams intake and auto decompression exhaust cams that I already had in the bike.I know I have the engine timed right and the proper thickness gaskets installed, the problem is one or more intake valves are hitting the piston. I talked to the shop that did the work on the head and cylinder and they said the pockets on the piston for the valves might not have been right from the manufacturer and may need to be machined. Has anyone ever had this problem before or heard of anyone else that has had a similar problem? I plan on claying the valves to see where I am having the clearance problem but would like to get some input to see if anyone else has had this happen to them, thanks, Matt

• Fastest1

Posted October 23, 2004 - 07:24 PM

I know it is common in hot rods with high lift cams, seems like it would be the same with bikes. Ask wiseco how much can be cut. :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted October 24, 2004 - 10:48 PM

You need to contact hot cams there is a very good chance that the cams will not work with your piston setup. Also if your out by 1 tooth on the stock cams the valves will hit. But I'm pretty sure that that combination will not work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 01yz426

Posted October 31, 2004 - 11:29 PM

Fix er yet?

• hontrx265r

Posted November 03, 2004 - 07:00 PM

I just did a ton of motor work to my 250r yz hybrid, I was having problems with a knock that I just couldn't figure out. I talked to everyone I was also running wiseco hot cams and a 440 kit/ I thought it was valve noise I called wiseco and they said if you run their pistons with their cams it will work, I puddied it and it was plenty of clearance, doubled the base gasket like east coast said and still couldn't figure it out. Finally I realized that a yz426 gasket on a 96.5mm piston (even though it says it will fit) needs to be opened up with a drum sander the piston was taping the head gasket not the valves. Maybe that will help

• jake27

Posted November 03, 2004 - 07:19 PM

I haven't had any time to work on it yet.Hopefully I will get to it this weekend, Thanks for the input guys, Matt.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.