BRP is losing coolant??

1 reply to this topic
  • FooBarr

Posted September 04, 2002 - 05:47 PM

Past couple of rides I notice that the BRP's coolant is about 1" low, and every time I topped it off. Oil on the dipstick looks nice and fresh. Did notice a bit of dried coolant residue on the bottom side of the water pump, but there wasn't much anywhere else. Not sure, but could the seal be going out in the pump.

The first time I noticed it was after riding some trails that had a few techincal sections and it was slow going for 5-10 minutes. 1st gear, slipping the clutch and dabbling the feet to stay up. In addition to the radiators, the catch tank was near empty too, and I usually keep it between the min/max lines. Didn't notice anything blowing out.

The other possibility is that it blew out during the technical stuff and there was still air trapped in the system the second time I checked it.

Anybody had experience with this? How much A**-pain is it to replace the seal?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted September 05, 2002 - 03:34 AM

FooBar,

Clean off old residue and then fill everything (radiators, overflow tank) up to spec. Lug around your property like you did on the trail and inspect for leaks and signs of overflow. You may be losing enough from a waterpump leak that the overflow tank is sucked dry when the engine starts to cool down.

Also, check your thermostat. I had to modify mine. The bridge that the expansion pin seats into was too high. The pin could rise up at an angle and get wedged/stuck and not open fully. This could restrict the flow of coolant.

You can see this for yourself by taking the thermostat out, suspending it in a pan of water and then heating the water up. Watch the pin action.

I simply flattened the bridge arm down to the point where the pin could not float around. Retest on the stove until your are satisfied with the results.

I haven't replaced a water pump seal yet, so I haven't any advice on that.

Good luck

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.