Application of Graphics question.........

8 replies to this topic
  • Motoman_AZ

Posted October 22, 2004 - 12:02 PM

I have gone through the different posts trying to figure out the correct prep for the plastic to adhere new graphics. I just recieved my new XGX Graphics and can't wait to get em on... I just don't want them to bubble off...... here's my questions:

1. How hard is it to properly remove old graphics
2. How do I prep the plastic for proper adhesion of the new stuff?
3. How do you remove or knock down scratches so the graphics will be smooth?
4. Is there someway to polish plastic to make it look newer?

TIA guys and gals!

• RCannon

Posted October 22, 2004 - 12:42 PM

I have always preped my plastic with lacquer thinner before applying graphics. It does a decent job without eating the plastic.

I will sometimes sand down the deep scratches with sandpaper before putting on the graphics. Usually I start with new plastic. I have always hatedcrappy looking graphics (100.00 or so) because I had to reuse my 30.00 dollar radiator shrouds.

I use a blowdrier to remove the old grphics. They come off a lot easier when warm. The glue that gets left behind is a real pain.

• John_Lorenz

Posted October 22, 2004 - 01:15 PM

As stated the blow dryer is the best way to get old graphics off.

Cleaning the plastic is fairly straitght forward.

Start with 409, then move to windex, then wipe with Rubbing alcohol. It dries fast, leaves no residue.

Application is even easier

This I learned from Matt Garrett Bergs Bets Budd

Fill you tube with warm water, warm enough to be a little hot. Use dish washing liguid and place a few drops in the water just enough to see some suds it only takes a few drops

Place the Tank in the water peel the back off the grap[hics and dip in the water.

Appliy the graphics with the squeegee and get all the bubles out

The warm soapy water gives you tons of time to get them on and work the bubbles out completly.

Once done use the Hair dryer to set the Glue and get the final bubbles out...

• bluerider450

Posted October 22, 2004 - 01:49 PM

anyone know where i can get budlight graphics for an 04 yz450f?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted October 22, 2004 - 01:52 PM

I've never done it before, but I would think it would be alot like putting on window tint. You can get a small 2-3" squeegie from the window tinting aisle for it, and just keep working the bubbles out, right???

• Motoman_AZ

Posted October 22, 2004 - 06:45 PM

Thank you for the feedback.... I knew there was something to it... I will post pics when I get 'er done! :cry:

• Motoman_AZ

Posted October 23, 2004 - 11:06 PM

WOW,

The graphics came out awesome!!! WOW! Here's what I did for a successful application of the XGX Graphics....

My factory graphics came off real easy. I just peeled real slow. Then blotted the left over adhesive with the old graphic sticky side.

Based on recommendations from the forum I used diluted Simple Green to clean all the plastic and rinsed thoroughly. Even the areas that didn't include graphic area. Don't want the dirt to migrate during application.

Then just before I applied the graphics I wiped the whole area with rubbing alchohol and let dry. I then put a few drops of dish soap in a squirt bottle of water.

I wet the shroud, the peeled the backing off of the graphic. I squirted the graphics until soaked. Then lightly laid the graphic on the shroud. The adhesive on the graphic is pressure sensitive so don't push it down yet.

Be sure to line it up, then starting from the middle start pushing the graphic down working outwards. Be sure not to crease the graphic. As I got to the areas where the graphic had to go around a corner I took a blow dryer and heated the graphic to make it more plyable and continued to work it down till I got to the edge. Keep heating the graphic and working the bubbles.

Did the same thing for the tank one side at a time...... The integrated holes in the tank graphics really helped work the water out. Be sure to look at the graphics in a couple of hours to see if any bubbles need to worked up.

Heat was the magic for me....taking old stuff off and softening the new stuff to make it more plyable and shed the water underneath.......

I will post a pic in the morning! Looks awesome!!

Thanks again for everyone's help! :cry:

• Motoman_AZ

Posted October 23, 2004 - 11:56 PM

Pics as promised........

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• etownyzf

Posted October 24, 2004 - 02:53 AM

those did come out awesome-putting some graphics on my 450 today-hope it comes out as good-motoman now go buy some new tires!or are those supermoto tires? :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.