Painting Clutch Cover

6 replies to this topic
  • redrider77

Posted October 22, 2004 - 11:49 AM

How would one go about painting the magnisium clutch cover to dress it up a bit? What kind of prep work? Any special paint? Anything else?

• 5valve

Posted October 23, 2004 - 02:29 AM

visit any car or bike repair shop that does painting, because the paint should be heat treated to become stable

• bikepilot

Posted October 23, 2004 - 10:13 PM

I think I would just bead blast it and not paint it again.
I do that quite frequently to aluminum, magnesium, titanium, and stainless parts with good results. Most well equipped motorcycle shops have a bead blast cabinet, and some may even let you do it yourself if you ask nicely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brettv

Posted October 23, 2004 - 11:32 PM

can i ask a dumb question? whats bead blasting and how does it work? :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 24, 2004 - 03:50 AM

Bead blasting is similar to sandblasting but you use small little beads for media instead of abrasive sand. You can also use walnut shell for media too..

I wouldn't paint it either, it'll just rub off again with your boot. You can buy aftermarket covers, I've seen then in carbon fiber.

• wildo

Posted October 24, 2004 - 07:21 AM

powder coatind would be the most duabel paint. but i would just blast it and make it nice and shiny. your boots will prob rub any paint job off any way.

• 5valve

Posted October 24, 2004 - 11:37 PM

material should be colour protected, stains and in time material deterioration can occur if not

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.