Jetting help!

5 replies to this topic
  • Danco

Posted September 03, 2002 - 04:13 AM

Hi all,

I just installed my White Bros. E-Series S-bend on my uncorked 01 BRP. It ran great with the cored out stock exhaust. Now I get a low speed stumble when the throttle is cracked. Once it gets going it screams. I have the 178 main jet, 68s pilot and the needle clip in the 4th position. Adjusting the pilot does not help it. I currently have it at 2.5 turns out. Removing 4 discs for a total of 8 helped some but not much. It's not really that bad but noticable. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• needsprayer

Posted September 03, 2002 - 05:00 AM

Danco,

Are you talking about cracking the throttle open from an idle or at a point above idle, but still below the 1/4 throttle range. The stock carb does not allow you to go from idle to WTO without a bog (or worse a stall). You must roll the throttle on from an idle.

If you are experiencing this bog from an above idle starting point it is best to start troubleshooting with a clean plate. I hope you have a manual. Put in a new plug, clean air filter, lube and inspect throttle cables for slack and return Pilot Screw to stock position. Adjust idle speed according to manual and then determine if problem persists. If so , make one change at a time. Start with simple stuff like checking the Pilot Jet for looseness. This will also allow you to inspect the float bowl for contaminants. If all is well try changing back to the stock (65) Pilot Jet.

Good luck

[ September 03, 2002, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: needsprayer ]

• Danco

Posted September 03, 2002 - 05:19 AM

Thanks Needsprayer! It's only from a dead crack of the throttle. When I roll on - no problems. It seemed like it was not a problem with the stock exhaust. Maybe it's just me. My brother now tells me to drop the clip to the 5th postion which may solve the problem. I may call White Bros. to see what they have to say. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Potato

Posted September 05, 2002 - 03:46 PM

Do as your brother says play with the needle position you should be able to clean it up. Are you running a stock air filter? If so you'll need to get a good high flow filter.
Good luck!

• motometal

Posted September 07, 2002 - 07:47 AM

wouldn't going to a leaner pilot jet (stock) make it worse???

• needsprayer

Posted September 08, 2002 - 04:32 AM

motometal,

I will try to explain my reasoning for giving the 65 Pilot another try.

My assumption was that if a bog (from a blip) persisted after the idle speed was properly adjusted with the 68s pilot jet then perhaps a rich condition existed.

This following is taken from a discussion about Constant Vaccum (CV) carburetors (I.e. Keihin) at http://www.steinborn.org/st1100.html

"Pilot circuit (zero to 1/8 throttle): The mixture is rich if the throttle is lightly 'blipped' and the idle speed drops below the set idle speed before rising up to the set speed." This is a bog condition.

Please bear with me, I am not a jetting expert. I am running the stock Pilot Jet (65) at 4500' altitude and find that I can blip the throttle (not WTO) without a bog. As I said before the Keihin carburetor wants the throttle to be rolled on from idle,not cracked WTO.

Lot's of people run the 68s. Of course elevation and temperature have an effect. I was suggesting a change based on what is working for me. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.