Oil change 426

8 replies to this topic
  • im5150

Posted October 22, 2004 - 06:25 AM

My son just bought a 426 and we are about to chang the oil. Just need to know how much to put in and ifin theres any tricks :cry:
Sorta embarrased to ask but we dont have a service manuel.

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 22, 2004 - 08:25 AM

It's about 1.2 US qts. with a filter change. A little less without a filter. I'll bet you can get the exact capacities by doing an internet search.

Oil change for oil-in-frame bikes:
-Warm it up
-Loosen completely or remove the top tube filler cap/dipstick
-Remove down tube plug & drain oil in frame, clean & replace plug
-Remove engine case oil drain plug, drain oil, clean & replace plug
-Add 1 US qt. oil in frame filler, replace dipstick, start & run engine briefly and turn off
-Add remaining oil in small increments, running and stopping engine, checking oil level on dipstick without screwing it.
-Repeat until the correct oil level is reached

This works well for me. :cry:

• YAMAKAZE

Posted October 22, 2004 - 09:11 AM

Also go to Wal-Mart and pick up a long nozzle funnel for a buck..... Life will be much easier.

Bonzai :cry:

• mmbasa

Posted October 22, 2004 - 09:12 AM

1200cc if you are using a ratio rite.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted October 22, 2004 - 09:32 AM

Also go to Wal-Mart and pick up a long nozzle funnel for a buck..... Life will be much easier.

Bonzai :cry:

Good call about the funnel. I've got an IMS 3.2 tank on my '02 and it's a definite must have item.

• darmino

Posted October 22, 2004 - 12:07 PM

My 2002 WR426 manuel says 1.37 qt without filter change
and 1.48qt with filter change not 1.2 qt.I think that is for a 450 which has less oil capacity ( one of the many reasons that the 426 is a better bike IMO)

Posted October 22, 2004 - 12:22 PM

You think your bike is that much better because of that little oil diffrence? :cry:

• 5valve

Posted October 23, 2004 - 02:23 AM

more oil, cooler running engine and less frequent oil changes, but these diffrences are very small, the biggest is more money spent for more oil :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted October 23, 2004 - 07:25 PM

( one of the many reasons that the 426 is a better bike IMO)

:cry: Hey, I just sold my 01 WR426F to buy a new 04 WR450F, and I have to admit, I do like the 450 better, but its just my opinion. The magic button was about the only reason I did it, but since, I like the 450 trail handling compared to my 426 (it was YZ timed, re-sprung for racing) :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.