650L with ProCircuit T4 - loud - repack?

5 replies to this topic
  • drex

Posted October 21, 2004 - 11:52 AM

My dad recently picked up a 650 L with a ProCircuit T4 on it. He complains that it's very loud.

He's going to be in town with the bike this weekend and I'm drafted to look at it.

Does the T4 need an occasional repack?

Seems to me there are a couple of tips available for the T4 -- maybe he needs a quiter one? Would there be a number on the tip somewhere?

Any help is much appreciated.

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 21, 2004 - 02:38 PM

My dad recently picked up a 650 L with a ProCircuit T4 on it. He complains that it's very loud.

Does the T4 need an occasional repack?

Seems to me there are a couple of tips available for the T4 -- maybe he needs a quiter one? Would there be a number on the tip somewhere?

Any help is much appreciated.

All silencers need to be repacked eventually, and more than once. As far as quieting the pipe down, do a search and see if there is a quiet insert available. The only down side is if the bike's been jetted for the current pipe, it could end up being too rich and not run properly.

Try a good & tight repack first. It'll help a bit for awhile.

• loufish

Posted October 21, 2004 - 06:38 PM

What size outlet is on yours? I have the 1-1/2", and my buddy has the 2", there is a fair amount of difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JMC

Posted October 22, 2004 - 05:20 AM

I had a T4 on my yzf when i had it. It was LOOUUD! They make two inserts, one is a spark arrestor and one is a spark arrestor w/a "quiet core" style insert. I had to be legal (had the S.A. already) AND quiet so I bought the S.A. w/the quiet core. I was upset, the "quiet core" was nothing more than a big washer tack welded over the regular spark arrestor :cry:(like I had already). All this did was reduce the size of the outlet on the pipe. It did calm down some of the sound (and power) but sounded like I had a duck stuck in my pipe. I would make one if I had to do it again. I have heard of guys making "turn down" style one out of pipe found at a local hardware. Hope this helped good luck.

• MotoChris521

Posted October 22, 2004 - 05:38 AM

I had a T4 on my '03.It was very loud.I bought the "quiet core" and as stated before ,it's just a washer welded on the inside of the end screen.Sure it's quiter,put i think the stock pipe works better than the choked T4.So... what i ended up doing was grinding out most of the washer and left two tabs ,which i drilled and tapped.Then i bought some washers with larger inside diameter holes.The stock q core was about .75".I ended up using one almost 1.5 ".I think it was a good comprimise between sound/power. :cry:

• drex

Posted October 22, 2004 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the input guys!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.