Accelerator Pump Spring Tension??

4 replies to this topic
  • Pothole

Posted October 21, 2004 - 11:51 AM

On my '99 YZ400, when I manually depress the pushrod cam while opening the throttle, I get a good squirt, but there is hardly any squirt if I don't depress it manually. Has anyone increased the spring tension of the pushrod to fix this problem?

• moburki

Posted October 21, 2004 - 11:57 AM

I haven't increased spring tension, but I have a similar problem on my 2000. If I manually apply pressure to the AP cam, it improves response (less bog) when I wack the throttle. I was thinking about doing the same thing, or decreasing the pressure from the diaphram spring :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pothole

Posted October 21, 2004 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, I've done a number of searches here on AP spring tension with no results. So, looking at it, it appears you can take the end of the spring that is hooked to the throttle linkage, bend it 90 degrees and rotate it 180 degrees clockwise (tighter) and hook it to the top part of the throttle linkage. I've heard from a mechanic that this was a trick they used with the older DRZ's, which had the same carb.

• moburki

Posted October 21, 2004 - 12:57 PM

I'll take a look at it, maybe give it a try. Let me know if you do it with success (and pics) :cry:

• WR426madness

Posted October 21, 2004 - 01:45 PM

Here's the fix remove the spring and cut it of at the bend for the A/P side and rebend it, this should shorten it 1/4 inch. I did mine and bam, no more dead spot.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.