5-miles of He!!

9 replies to this topic
  • Copperglobe

Posted August 25, 2002 - 08:24 PM

We are getting ready to ride the "five miles of hell" this fall here in Utah. I've ridden it on a XR250R but am planning or taking my BRP over it this time. This trail is one of the toughest I've ever ridden and it can destroy a rider and bike in no time. I need to find a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket so that we are geared down. I've tried several sources but haven't been able to find one. There are several stores that have a 13 tooth but no 12. Anyone out there know of a place? :)

• Portland_650R

Posted August 26, 2002 - 07:23 AM

If you're running the stock 48 in back, you can get a 50 - it will fit with a 13 in front, with the stock chain length. I use it here in Tillamook Forest in pretty tight stuff.

• CAB

Posted August 27, 2002 - 12:43 PM

Check out this great website from Ruxton Noble for some excellent FMOH pictures (hopefully link works)
http://www.ruxtonnob...om/srsfmoh.html

• Matt96xr6

Posted August 27, 2002 - 06:42 PM

That is a lot different than Tillamook! haha

More like eastern oregon playing on the hills and rim rocks.

• KS

Posted August 27, 2002 - 07:04 PM

Guys,

That's not riding.....
That's hiking with motorcycles!!!

WOW

KS

'99 XR400
Renthal Bars (Carmicheal bend)
Scotts Damper
ESP Suspension
Summers Fork Brace
Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit
ICO Racing odo/speedo
Snorkle removed, Uni Filter, Re-jetted 160/58
96/97 end cap w/Vortip

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow_Poke

Posted August 28, 2002 - 03:37 PM

wow....is that cool or what! Looks like the perfect place to have fun/toture yourself.

• Copperglobe

Posted August 30, 2002 - 02:57 AM

Those pictures are great. However, until you experience "5 miles of Hell", they don't give you the feel of the trail. I've talked to experienced riders that have sworn to never go back. If you do go, some rules: stay on the trails, don't go alone, don't go in the summer, take water and food (you may spend longer than you planned), gear your bike down (it doesn't matter how good a rider you think you are), don't take a questionable bike, take extra parts, take your time. It'll be the greatest ride you'll ever take, and the toughest! You ain't a rider unless you've been through "hell". :)

• secretatlas

Posted August 30, 2002 - 06:17 AM

can someone give me a gps coordinate for the 5moh trailhead, or tell me where in utah this place is.

don't worry, i won't trash your spot. in and out. promise.

thanks,
kc

• Copperglobe

Posted August 30, 2002 - 10:04 AM

South-central Utah. Between Greenriver and Hanksville, near Goblin Valley State Park there is an area called Temple Mountain. Northeast of Temple Mountain is the 5moh. There are several trails in the area, each one named (or given) a color. 5moh is "red" with other color, names, being yellow, blue, etc. There are threes routes to get to the trail-head. Here is a map:
5moh

There is a BLM visitor trailer parked during weekends and holdays near Temple Mountain. These guys are very nice- if you obey the rules! Make sure your bike is registered (on or off-road) as the local State Park Rangers (not BLM) will surely give you a ticket. In that area, also known as the San Rafael Swell, you can ride on any exsisting road, trail or riverbed. That is as long as it isn't in the wilderness study areas, which are clearly marked.

If we all obey those rules, we can continue to ride in some of the greatest trails around.

This is probably more than you wanted to know anyway. :)

• secretatlas

Posted August 30, 2002 - 11:15 AM

thanks for the info copperglobe. it's never too much informaion. i promise i'll leave your riding area better than i found it.

i think it will make a nice october trip.

have a good one,
kc

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.