chain knocked a hole in my case!

11 replies to this topic
  • flyinguitars

Posted October 21, 2004 - 09:54 AM

I was riding yesterday (with beezer, docstrangelove, drtbkr188, fireftr) and my master link let go. The chain smashed the threaded part of the case where bolt #9 goes (very bottomright of drawing) and cut a lot of metal out of the rounded area where the clutch actuator arm goes down into the case....it didnt go thru to the clutch actuator arm, but the hole for #9 seems to be leaking oil...I say seems because I didnt get a chance to really inspect it. I got home after dark and the bike was covered in mud. Im going to clean it up tonight and find out exactly where the oil is leaking from. Has anybody here ever used epoxy to fix something like this? Its going to get cold here in about 2 months, so I'd be willing to do a temporary fix...and then either get it welded or get a new case. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike
Posted Image

• jespertheil

Posted October 21, 2004 - 12:48 PM

My bikes previus owner had the same accident. He had it welded and that looks fine.. The chain made a hole in the case right above the front sprocket.
Been riding the bike for a year now, and there has been no problem with it. You will have to split the case to have it done correctly. I have been splitting mine 3 times now due to different problems, gearbox etc. It´s not so difficult, just read the manual 10 times before you start and follow it.. I did and i have never done it before..
Good luck. :cry:

• NAFLASH

Posted October 21, 2004 - 01:51 PM

Just weld it that is if you have a welder :cry:. If not then just find a machine shop to do it.
Why do you have to split the cases to weld it,is it becacuse the heat would expand the case or somethin :cry: :cry:

• Scooter426

Posted October 21, 2004 - 02:26 PM

did you happen to have a standard link or a rivet link.

• jespertheil

Posted October 21, 2004 - 02:59 PM

Just weld it that is if you have a welder :cry:. If not then just find a machine shop to do it.
Why do you have to split the cases to weld it,is it becacuse the heat would expand the case or somethin :cry: :cry:

To make sure that there aren´t any ufo´s inside... Sand, metal pieces and so.. Better safe than sorry. :cry:
But clean the thing and check how bad it is. If it is just a surface problem then don´t split it. If in doubt, take it apart. Install a Wiseco 13,5:1 piston while your at it..
:cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 21, 2004 - 03:08 PM

did you happen to have a standard link or a rivet link.

Agreed, go for a rivet link if you ride a long way from the truck. Much stronger than a clip link and no worry about the clip coming off! You do have to buy (or have access to) a chain rivet tool though.

If you fix it, let us know how it turns out!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 21, 2004 - 03:15 PM

got a link to a rivet link? :cry:

• beezer

Posted October 21, 2004 - 04:57 PM

I was doing some checking and there are products that welders use to isolate heat from a weld. I think Eastwood may sell it. If you went to a good heliarc welder and got some of the heat schit you may be in. You might have to remove the countershaft and shifter shaft seals and replace them. What have you got to lose? The case is already shot.

• Jeffro426

Posted October 21, 2004 - 05:03 PM

Didnt BC fix somethin like this a while back?? Might want to shoot him a PM.

• NAFLASH

Posted October 21, 2004 - 05:06 PM

Correct me if im wrong but if the hole isnt that big im sure you can tack it really quick without hurting anything right? As long as its no wider than the size a of a pen im sure you wont hurt anything.

• beezer

Posted October 21, 2004 - 05:19 PM

Good idea!

BC can weld!

• NAFLASH

Posted October 21, 2004 - 06:02 PM

oh yea if you feel like sending it to Cali I have have heliarc welder. :cry: :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.