Is a 93 XR650L OK for me?

7 replies to this topic
  • stratos

Posted October 21, 2004 - 09:42 AM

First time poster, great board! A co-worker is selling his 93 XR650L. I am interesting in buying it, but I am 5'5" with a 31" inseam. I eventually want to supermoto it. However right away all I will be able to do is install a lowering link and a set of Avon gripsters (or something similar). I am worried that I'll have Issues getting my foot to touch ground. I used to have a 90 Suzuki DR650 a while back and could just barley have my foot on the ground (tip toe) and I realize that was a bike with a fairly low seat height. So I guess what I am saying is, Can I get it low enough with just a lowering link? Or am I really too short for this bike?

• NukBoy

Posted October 21, 2004 - 10:12 AM

I am 5'9 200lbs and Animul Mutha throws me off lag a rag doll now and then. Just wait till you try to put your foot down on the downhill side of something. Once she is leaned even a few degrees she gets really heavy. The longer you try to hold it up the harder the [@#$%&*!] throws you down. I am doing supermotard with mine because I dont feel like buying another bike. I tried to sell it and nobody would give me even $2000 for it. So I am converting it, and I love driving it in Dallas Traffic, over sidewalks and medians, through cars, and down the side of the freeways when its really bad.

If I were you I would buy a more powerful true dirt bike than put a baja kit on it. But if it's your only bike. Go for it. Just remember that the [@#$%&*!] weighs alot and when you jump it with a lowering kit your going to bottom out.

I have had the bike on a diet since I bought it 3yrs ago and have shedded probably 40 lbs off since I purchased it.

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 21, 2004 - 02:33 PM

Can I get it low enough with just a lowering link? Or am I really too short for this bike?

If you put a lowering link on, make sure you raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps to keep the same geometry and for helping keep the bike as low as possible.

No matter how tall you are you'll need to lean the bike and slide your a$$ over on the seat. I've never tried to keep the bike centered. It's too damn high, and that's the way I like it!

• CrackiN

Posted October 21, 2004 - 07:42 PM

How much is he asking for it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted October 21, 2004 - 08:53 PM

My old man is ~5'9" and his '87 XR600 was too tall for him. His '93 XR250 before that also was too tall. More of an inconvienience than a problem.

Its funny, I have my '95 600 and my feet are flat on the ground and knees bent just a hair. Of course I'm 6'4"... :cry:

• stratos

Posted October 22, 2004 - 07:49 AM

I just got a chance to sit on it and ride it yesterday. It's odd, basicaly its not realy any higher than my old DR. On level ground I am on my tip toes (one leg) so with the lowering link I should be just fine on the street. he is going to sell it to me for $1400.

• CrackiN

Posted October 23, 2004 - 09:09 PM

Well if you don't buy it let me know and if you do buy it try loosening the front clamps and sliding them down the orks...That should lower the front some and might help

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted October 24, 2004 - 11:05 AM

I am only 5'8 and I put a lowering Link on mine its seems now with that and having the sag set properly and sliding the forks up an inch I can touch on both sides. Its the best $$ I spent on this bike other than the bash plate and having the suspension redon. :cry:

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.