tire size questions

3 replies to this topic
  • utah_nate

Posted August 19, 2002 - 02:35 PM

My '97 XR6 has the original wheels and the original size rear tire 110/100 18. Is it possible to go up to a 120/100 18? Will this pinch the tire too much and give the tire an odd profile or is this even an issue? Also, are there any disadvantages to running a 120 tire on an XR6?
Any advantages? Thanks...NATE

• Slow_Poke

Posted August 19, 2002 - 03:05 PM

You should have enough torque to pull a john deere tractor tire. Want to look really cool? Go to the junk and buy a used 3" rim for 10 bones and then mount the biggest, baddest looking knobby tire. It looks major beasty plus you'll become an instant sandmaster. Of course you will have to drive a truck over the tire to break the bead but look on the bright side, you will always be able to ride a flat from any distance without having to worry about the tire popping off the rim.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted August 19, 2002 - 04:05 PM

Nate, My 600 came with a 140/80-18 when I bought it, no problems. A wider footprint can go both ways.
1) You have more tread in contact with the ground which is advantageous in some situations (mud, sand)

2) You have have less weight per sq. inch of tire contact. This might not be a good thing on hard surfaces where increased pressure between the tire and ground may keep you from sliding out.

Overall, I don't think there is a great disadvantage to riding with the 140 and would recommend it for Utah. I currently have a 5.10-18 IRC VE 33 that I love for the woods. Seems the narrower width doesn't catch as many stumps/roots as the 140. Then again, I ride in slimy rocks and roots 95% of the time.

• Moredesert

Posted August 20, 2002 - 01:16 PM

The 120/100 is a tall tire but over all works out to be about the same as the 140/80. I always run the 140/80x18 on my bikes. It last longer and works better. It's not a good sliding tire because it so fat but works for me.

I ran the 140/80 S-12 on all my bikes everywhere, all year round.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.