2004 YZ450 Jetting

8 replies to this topic
  • Scooter426

Posted October 20, 2004 - 04:46 PM

I just got a 2004 450 and need help with the jetting setup.
It is basically stock. I live at sea level in Seattle, and am experiencing 1/8 throttle surging. It seems to run fine everywhere else, but the fuel screw seems to have no effect on the problem. Please let me know what settings work for a basically stock setup. it does have a flywheel weight and I changed the air filter to an aftermarket one (No change in the problem). Pipe is stock 2004. I am guess it is lean surging, I have heard these bikes are lean as delivered.
Scott :cry:

• ovrrdrive

Posted October 21, 2004 - 12:23 AM

Try going up one pilot jet size at a time and make sure the end of the fuel screw hasn't been broken off in the hole. I know some of the aftermarket screws have a bad habit of breaking off if you seat them too tighly.

If its stock, it should have a 42 in it, try a 45.

• Gizabious

Posted October 21, 2004 - 02:21 AM

I richened the pilot to a 45 and leaned the needle by 1 clip position, i know seems strange but this cured the surging when the throttle was at a constant position between 1/4 and 3/4 open. The larger pilot gives real good throttle response off idle

• Scooter426

Posted October 21, 2004 - 08:37 AM

so stock settings are

pilot: 42
Main: 165

and I should change to:
pilot: 45
main: 168

sounds like the aftermarket fuel screw is a good idea, also.

Are there any differences in the 2003 and the 2004 in the Carb/Jetting/Engine settings?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted October 21, 2004 - 09:10 AM

That's what I went with. I also raised the needle one clip to richen the mid a little. The bike runs great but does surge a little at half throttle. I'm thinking the cool air will cure that soon enough though. I don't think I'll mess with the needle any.

I'll probably drop the 170 MJ in when it cools off.

As for the Zipty fuel screw, I love mine. It's worth its weight in gold.

• Scooter426

Posted October 21, 2004 - 04:04 PM

found a 45 pilot and a 168 main in the ole' tool box. I will change the two asap and let you know how it goes. And I will but the needle one clip richer(down).

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 21, 2004 - 04:09 PM

I couldnt find a better thread to throw this in...

I just put the new cdi unit in. It is without doubt where they killed most of the low rpm power at. If you are one that likes a hit when you pin the throttle, Just swap out the cdi. :cry:

• yzf450jack

Posted October 21, 2004 - 08:28 PM

My 03 runs like it is lean at 1/8 throttle I can't make it stop i even put another carb on it. and it does that same thing at that rpm :cry: It run's great It just sounds bad at that rpm I think it's a CDI thing :cry:

• ovrrdrive

Posted October 22, 2004 - 12:57 AM

Cool! :cry:

Does this mean no more granny '05 jokes? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.