Continintal twinduro

17 replies to this topic
  • xzvs

Posted August 14, 2002 - 02:58 PM

Just got the tire today --have yet to mount it. The guy that owns the local shop here races his DP on one and swears its better than sliced bread. I am putting it on my 88 xr 600 --will let ya know how/if I like it.

• secretatlas

Posted August 15, 2002 - 10:59 AM

tried it yet?

• xzvs

Posted August 15, 2002 - 03:27 PM

nope --have to mount it still. Its on my to do list. This darn work and house stuff eats into the xr time dont it :)

• secretatlas

Posted August 16, 2002 - 11:05 AM

yep. plus tires are no fun to put on in the first place.

let me know when you run it. if your'e in escondido i'm assuming your'e running in semi desert mountain terrian...right?

let me know what you have up front and if it works well with the rear.

have fun,
kc

• xzvs

Posted August 16, 2002 - 02:55 PM

will do --I mounted it today --and it was a pain . I will put it on tommorow. I have a dunlop sports 139 on the front and it is in darn good shape. It also currently running a dunlop on the rear -but its pretty worn and I can feel it spinning in the street at pretty high speeds. Believe it or not, this bike has yet to see the dirt with me on it yet (only had it leagal for 2 weeks) I wanted a tire that does both well, but considering I ride the bike to work at least 3 days a week, I really want a streetable tire. Rocks and trees don't pull out in front of you and cut you off. :)
Ps- yup--mostly rocky and sandy here. A few years back with the el nino we had lots of mud to play in and being from louisiana, I had to show the boys here how it was done :D
Where in socal are you ?

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: xzvs ]

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: xzvs ]

• xzvs

Posted August 17, 2002 - 01:31 PM

ok tire is on the bike --feels totally different. Will have to get used to it before I "hang it out ". Nice and smooth tho .

• secretatlas

Posted August 19, 2002 - 07:27 AM

i'm in redlands. ride out at stoddard wells, cajon pass, bandlands, and sometimes head down to sample the awesome illegal riding east of temecula.

just wondering about the tires cause i'm looking for a good rear to run in district 37 racing.

never heard of your tire. caught my eye when you said your dealer swears by it and races it. :)

but now it's sounding more like a dual sport tire...

• Rokatt88

Posted August 19, 2002 - 09:18 PM

Hey Secret Atlas,

I used to live in Redlands along time ago. I used to ride San Timiteo Canyon all the time. (almost daily) All the bikes I have listed right up to the '77 Maico were ridden there. Can you still ride out there? I've always thought of checking out my old ridge trails. I was told that there are houses out there now. Any input would be cool. Thanks

• secretatlas

Posted August 19, 2002 - 11:58 AM

rokatt,
yep, there is still decent riding in the badlands. however, the land cops are getting more and more agitated...leaving tickets on rigs and whatnot.
the weekends are serious squid fests. drunk wingnuts without helmets riding up and down the wash on their quads, in plain view of the highway.
pretty much ruins it for the rest of is.

lots of graffiti and trash around the highway areas, so the cops watch that close.

however, if you go ninja, swift, silent, deadly, and head out during the week, early in the morning, you can still put together decent rides without running into smokey or squids.

i've gotten away with a couple of early morning saturday rides, but i advise against it.

there are trophy homes out there now and probably a lot more fences than in your day. but, still lots of singletrack and you have to be a little more creative, that's all.

i'm trying to cut a new trail and combine a bunch of old ones that will take me from redlands to my parents house in nuevo. :D

send me an email: secretatlas@hotmail.com and i can give you gps coordinates that will give you decent staging areas as well as a couple of entry points into trails. i am healing from acl surgery as well as a broken wrist...otherwise i would meet you out there sometime. :)

if you head out this way in mid september, let me know and i'll reintroduce you to the badlands.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xzvs

Posted August 19, 2002 - 03:21 PM

Its a dual sport tire but its supposed to be the best of both worlds. I am supposed to do a ride on twisty roads/ trails this weekend-- will see how it does. I hated the dunlop on the street. It was just too easy to break loose. The twinduro seems a lot harder composition and it rounded like a street tire, but has knobbies and looks to be the closest to a 50/ 50 tire that I have seen.

• xzvs

Posted August 27, 2002 - 03:10 PM

welL i like it on the street a lot :) haven't gotten in the dirt yet. Now instead of spinning the tire, the front wheel pops up with about 1/4 throttle in 1st and second

• KTM-313

Posted August 29, 2002 - 12:26 AM

Hey Secret Atlas,
I used to live in Loma Linda a long time ago and was wondering if you can still ride from Richie Cyn. Road thru the hills and the San Tomato canyon wash all the way up to Beaumont?
Also if you can still ride from Riverside thru the hills and orange groves to Redlands? Somewhere there to the south of Grand Terrace was a hell of a hill(with a big water tank in the saddle) that could only be done from Riverside to Grand Terrace, the other way was impossible to get up. Then later I think they poured cement down the hill to keep erosion under controll, but it was still too steep to climb. Somewhere out there by the dirt road that cuts from Grand Terrace thru the hills to Morino Valley. Or has it been too long and I'm all mixed up?
I have also herd that I wouldn't reconize the place if I were to go back.
One last question for ya, is the fire road from Highland at the base of the mtns. across hwy. 330 and on thru (Bear Creek I think)over to hwy. 38 still open? And how about Clarks Grade from about Anglus Oaks up to Big Bear? I used to ride that quite a bit when I lived in Big Bear, just before moving out of So.Cal.
Sorry for the long post, but it would be nice to go back and ride some of those trails again!

• secretatlas

Posted August 29, 2002 - 12:05 PM

hey ktm 313, this is a long one. sorry.
i've only lived in sourthern california for two years and mostly ride out in the desert...dove canyon, jawbone, stoddard wells, and cajon pass/baldy mesa. however, during the week, before work, me and my riding buddies try to pull off ninja offroad rides in the redlands area. since i've only lived here awhile i don't have the answers for all your questions. i'll try my best to answer some of them. btw: rokatt88 i know i still owe you some maps for san timateo riding.

"wondering if you can still ride from Richie Cyn. Road thru the hills and the San Tomato canyon wash all the way up to Beaumont?"

i am currently working on a route that runs from center street in redlands (the only paved section) to san timateo road. from there i hop onto the wash south of the road and run that due east. so far i've made it as far as banning before chickening out since most of it is private property. however, my girlfriend is an archeologist working in the area and insists that there are several blm tracts that i could put together to get from banning all the way past the windmills and into palm springs. my ultimate goal is to ride from redlands to palm springs, refuel, and then run north of the I-10 due west where there is more blm land, and up into the san berdo forest. the only bummer is i look for good singletrack and hard terrain...most of the stuff i've scouted is turning out to be wash running and fire roads. that's the way it is around here...if it's legal it's so mellow and boring it's not worth the time. i'm still checking land management maps on that ride.

my goal lately is to put together rides that go south of timateo canyon deeper into the badlands and spit you out in hemet with the goal then to take a differnt set of knarlies back.

"Also if you can still ride from Riverside thru the hills and orange groves to Redlands? Somewhere there to the south of Grand Terrace was a hell of a hill(with a big water tank in the saddle) that could only be done from Riverside to Grand Terrace, the other way was impossible to get up. Then later I think they poured cement down the hill to keep erosion under controll, but it was still too steep to climb. Somewhere out there by the dirt road that cuts from Grand Terrace thru the hills to Morino Valley. Or has it been too long and I'm all mixed up?"

i don't want to give you a definate answer on that, because i haven't tried. i've scouted around that area with my truck as well and it looks like there are too many trophy homes in the area to pull anything worthy off. i've got a feeling the stuff you are remembering dates back to the "on any sunday days." :) man, i wish i could have been there!

"One last question for ya, is the fire road from Highland at the base of the mtns. across hwy. 330 and on thru (Bear Creek I think)over to hwy. 38 still open? And how about Clarks Grade from about Anglus Oaks up to Big Bear? I used to ride that quite a bit when I lived in Big Bear, just before moving out of So.Cal."

news to me. but thanks for the tip. i'll look into it.

i'll work on some of my weekday nija routes and let you know. send me your email address at: secretatlas@hotmail.com. and i'll keep you updated. a lot of this the riding i do around redlands is illegal and i don't want to get the thumper talk folks into trouble.

if you are in the area and need a riding partner let me know. we can ride the legit stuff or the illegal, i'm always up for anything.

rokatt, i promise i'll pull together a good set of information for you soon and get it off to you.

have fun,
kc

• KTM-313

Posted August 29, 2002 - 08:12 PM

Secret Atlas,
Thanks for the update about the riding in my old stomping grounds! It sounds like one can still have fun out in the hills, which is good. I just hope it stays that way for a while, but with the developers and all the "big bucks" it most likely won't stay that way for too much longer.
Thanks for the offer of a riding buddie! But since I live in Africa now, I probably won't be back to that area for some time, although i still have a lot of friends there that I'm going to visit one of these days. When I do get back I would really like to go for a ride though. Here is my email address. erobinson640@hotmail.com. Lets keep in touch, maybe even go for a bike ride, or at least a beer at that place that use to be called "Tender foot" "Crossroads" now I think? That biker bar on I10 and the Yucaipa turn off, bottom of Ave. F.
Thanks again for the post!

• secretatlas

Posted August 30, 2002 - 06:13 AM

crossroads. yep i've heard of the place. sounds like they get the occasional band in there as well. keep wanting to check it out but every time i have a chance it's just me and my girlfriend...don't want to go in solo. she attracts too much attention. have a hard enough time keeping the drunks away from her at the "dirty bird" in redlands, let alone a bunch of bikers. i heard the place gets the real deal harley riders, not the doctors in chaps and $40 dew rags.

let me know when your'e in town and we can have a beer and talk bikes.

kc

• Rokatt88

Posted August 30, 2002 - 07:48 AM

Hey Secretatlas,

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the coordinates. Also looking forward to checking them out. Emmmmmm....Beer....

• Rokatt88

Posted August 30, 2002 - 08:09 AM

Secret!

One of my riding buddy's just got a GPS! Now, I'm totally GPS illiterate (for now), but if you can include those coord's along with the old school coord's that would be great! ...that 5 Miles of Hell does sound interesting doesn't it!

• secretatlas

Posted August 30, 2002 - 11:18 AM

will do rokatt

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.