Synthetic oil?

47 replies to this topic
  • ovrrdrive

Posted October 22, 2004 - 01:02 AM

I tell you, I don't have the money to fix that kind of crap on anu kind of regular basis.

Amen to that brother!

I also looked at several colors, even though I knew I would get the blue one. Yamaha has been very good to me in the past. :cry:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 22, 2004 - 03:39 AM

Me and the kid were set on buying hondas in the fall of 02. We went in to the shop and looked them over and were convinced they were the ones for us.

We would have bought them right then and there if we could have gotten a single sales person to come talk to us in the 45 minutes we looked at them and sat on them and messed with them. the dumasses just sat there and bullchitted with each other the whole time.

I have just bought my 7th yamaha in 3 years. Not once have I had to look for help when I walk in the door. :cry:

• Satch0922

Posted October 22, 2004 - 04:33 AM

Me and the kid were set on buying hondas in the fall of 02. We went in to the shop and looked them over and were convinced they were the ones for us.

We would have bought them right then and there if we could have gotten a single sales person to come talk to us in the 45 minutes we looked at them and sat on them and messed with them. the dumasses just sat there and bullchitted with each other the whole time.

I have just bought my 7th yamaha in 3 years. Not once have I had to look for help when I walk in the door. :cry:

:cry:

• beezer

Posted October 22, 2004 - 06:12 AM

That gets done to me all the time at motorcycle dealerships.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2004 - 10:22 AM

I have just bought my 7th yamaha in 3 years. :cry:

I'd say that fate smiled upon you, and protected you in a moment of weakness, and that you guys dodged a bullet. :cry:

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 22, 2004 - 10:42 AM

Hey grayracer, you seem to always back up your opinions with good information. I was wondering what you perceive to be the stronger qualities of Yamaha bikes over Hondas?

I'm somewhat of a newbie to dirtbikes and have only owned my current bike. From what I've heard Yamaha is the king on the engines and honda takes the crown for handling and suspension? I also heard that Yamaha's ergos are better for a taller rider?

Thanks in advance for the education!:cry:

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2004 - 07:29 PM

Hey grayracer, you seem to always back up your opinions with good information. I was wondering what you perceive to be the stronger qualities of Yamaha bikes over Hondas?

Looks can be deceiving, but thanks!

For one thing, YZFs have a record of extraordinary toughness that goes back to 1998, whereas the CRF450 was new in '02. The CRF 250 is just a year old, and has already had a long list of difficulties, including oil consumption, breaking cylinder skirts, and valve problems.

I don't like the CRF's oiling system. Dry sump is just a technically superior approach. I love the fact that the CRF's clutch and trans are in their own oil supply, but the engine holds only 700cc full up, and I've had that much oil disappear in a half an hour through an unexpected leak.

Both the 250 and 450 YZFs are more powerful than the Hondas, and with the '05 models, the single biggest edge the red bikes had in my opinion, suspension, is close to being a toss up.

The YZ feels roomier to me, especially when I stand, and while the Honda feels easier to toss into a turn, it feels to me like the Yamaha's steering is more precise as far as picking and changing lines. The Honda is also uncomfortably skittish at speed for my taste.

There's no contest at all between the 250s; the YZF is clearly the better bike. Both the CRF and the YZ450F are excellent rides, but for me, it all boiled down to this: I trust the Yamaha, but not the Honda. So far, I haven't been sorry.

That's what I think.

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 23, 2004 - 09:03 PM

thanks grayracer. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of buying my second Yamaha in '06 when we get the aluminum frame on the thumpers. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.