Guess my weight?

9 replies to this topic
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 04, 2001 - 06:17 PM

During my bike's recent convalescence, I weighed my WR's bare motor at the local grocery store's scale. The complete motor minus the carburetor and header weighed 64 pounds. Just in case you were wondering. What made we wonder about it was a statistic I saw about the new Honda CR450F. The engine is reported to weigh...64 pounds! I guess that's the magic number these days.

• mcarp

Posted July 06, 2001 - 08:17 AM

Interesting! That leads me to believe Honda is once again misrepresenting the weight of the CR450F as they have done oh so many times in the past with other bikes.

The aluminum frame CAN'T reduce the weight more than a 1 or 2 lbs. Can it???

We'll have to see what happens!

Thanks for the info. Did you have engine oil in there, too???

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 06, 2001 - 10:50 AM

Dry weight, no oil or coolant. (It would be hard to keep the fluids in with the motor out of the frame. :))

I'm thinking that it IS the frame that makes the CRF lighter. It's my understanding that Yamaha's concentrating on the chassis to reduce the weight of the next generation WR/YZF.

• PapaSmurf

Posted July 08, 2001 - 09:51 PM

Honda lying about weight? No way! The new Motocross Action reports the CR450F weighing 231 lbs, not the 225 that Honda claims. Looks like a wicked bike though!!

• MotoGreg

Posted July 09, 2001 - 06:50 PM

I checked the 450 out this weekend at Honda's booth during the World Superbike races at Laguna Seca. It is VERY light compared to my YZ400, feels like a 250 when lifting it off the stand. I'll post some pics when I develop the film.

------------------
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I never ride it so you should buy it...)
'99 YZ400F 'cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
'02 Honda CR450F - Coming in October!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GREENHORN

Posted July 09, 2001 - 07:31 PM

Originally posted by MotoGreg:
I checked the 450 out this weekend at Honda's booth during the World Superbike races at Laguna Seca. It is VERY light compared to my YZ400, feels like a 250 when lifting it off the stand. I'll post some pics when I develop the film.

I'D BE INTERESTED IN THOSE PICS.
I'VE BEEN READING ABOUT THE 450 IT SOUNDS NICE!!!ONE THING THAT REALLY GOT MY ATTENTION WAS THE 55HP RATING. I WAS TOLD ONCE THAT MY WR426 HAS ABOUT 47, JUST ABOUT THE SAME AS THE YZ JUST THE DELIVERY WAS DIFFERENT. HONDA HASN'T GAVE OUT ANY POSSIBILITY OF A SUPER XR(WR STYLE)BUT IT MIGHT BE WORTH TRADING FOR?????I'D SURE HATE TO THINK SO.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 10, 2001 - 03:17 PM

An aluminum frame can be 8-11 lbs lighter than steel but I wonder where they shaved about 10 lbs more? :)
I think the 55hp rating is at the crank not the rear wheel and is probably the reading right before the motor exploded. :D

• jamie_mckown

Posted July 10, 2001 - 09:34 PM

I heard the Honda frame contained trapped Helium from the welding process :D :) :D :D :D :D Also for what it is worth, the title on my 01' 426 says 53 hp. this is published by Yamaha.

------------------
Somebody's gotta win; Somebody's gotta lose!!

• vincegatcore.com

Posted July 11, 2001 - 02:11 AM

Its not the bike....
Its the rider that matters...

• jamie_mckown

Posted July 11, 2001 - 05:42 PM

Amen brother. Give a ten-year old a yz 80 and a clean plug and I'm toast on my 26'.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.