aftermarket regulator

14 replies to this topic
  • av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 19, 2004 - 07:34 PM

Does anyone know of an aftermarket regulator/rectifier. :cry:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted October 19, 2004 - 08:04 PM

Does anyone know of an aftermarket regulator/rectifier. :cry:

Yes, Moose makes one called the "Volt Pack" and is just a regulator, not a regulator/rectifier. Its available via Dennis Kirk under their part number 21700 and retails for $14.95. No, I dont work for DK, I just have their catalog setting near the PC! :cry:

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 19, 2004 - 08:11 PM

If your looking for a replacement for an 03/04 WR I think you'll have to go stock as it is both an AC and DC regulator. If you just want a DC reg/rectifier Trailtech sells one:

TrailTech

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 19, 2004 - 08:42 PM

My original bulb never burned out i just wanted more light. I installed a higher wattage headlight bulb and it burned out pretty quickly. I repositioned the wires in the headlight plug so that i could use the high beam since the low burned out. The high beam burned out pretty quick also. like 15mins. So i bought another lower wattage bulb (still slightly higher than stock). That bulb burned out just as quick as the rest. Im going to see if the regulator is burned out tomorrow 10/20/04 but im thinking of rectifying the lighting AC just to keep everything DC. I hate buying these bulbs at $20 a pop.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted October 19, 2004 - 09:36 PM

I'm wondering if these WR bulbs are like the stock bulbs, but a "rough service" version? And the WR comes stock wired with high beam only.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 20, 2004 - 07:29 PM

I understand it comes with only one beam. I "rewired" the plug so I could use the unburnt low beam. The wires can be removed from the plug pretty easily and repositioned to switch beams. This works great if you have problems like mine (blowing out bulbs)

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted October 20, 2004 - 08:36 PM

I understand it comes with only one beam. I "rewired" the plug so I could use the unburnt low beam. The wires can be removed from the plug pretty easily and repositioned to switch beams. This works great if you have problems like mine (blowing out bulbs)

Been there, done it. I installed a K&S switch, so I can switch from low beam to high beam or turn off all lights. Just added the extra pin in the existing connector.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 21, 2004 - 09:47 AM

Is there a law against posting while you are drunk? I hope not.

• SXP

Posted October 21, 2004 - 10:46 AM

Is there a law against posting while you are drunk? I hope not.

Don't know.....but I hope there's a law against wrenching on a plane while plastered :cry:

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 21, 2004 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, I think the FAA has that covered. I had just gotten home from work when I posted that.Then straight to bed after that beer. :cry:

• rpyfz450

Posted October 22, 2004 - 05:05 AM

Im going to see if the regulator is burned out tomorrow 10/20/04 but im thinking of rectifying the lighting AC just to keep everything DC.

TrailTech offers this solution for the ATV version of your bike. I'm sure the same modification will work on the WR. They require you use their full wave rectifier-regulator and they reconfigure the stock stator. I think they "float the ground" on the stator.

If you want to have a nice way of accessing your high beam element, you can get a hold of the left handlebar cluster from the YFZ450 (ATV). It has off-low-hi positons along with the start button all in one unit.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 24, 2004 - 07:08 AM

Instead of rewireing the stator, why not just rectify the juice from the stator that provides power to the headlight and leave the stock part alone to charge the battery?

• TrailTech

Posted November 07, 2004 - 09:43 AM

av8shunmeckaneck,

The bike only has one regulator, you cannot modify one side without impacting the other. The only known solution is to rewind the stator to a single output and run it DC.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted November 14, 2005 - 07:46 PM

Soooo. Ive mounted an Hid light inside of the headlight fairing. Using four diodes I recitified the AC voltage in order to power the HID light. There is a problem with that though. The regulator regulates the AC to 12volts. When you rectify 12vac directly to dc it chops it up so much that you only end up with about 9 volts which is at the lower end of the threshold that the HID will operate in. So the light just flickers and radomly stays illuminated then eventually turns off.

To fix this I plan on doing the stator "floating ground" mod. and wiring in a Trail Tech rectifier/regulator. My understanding is that after wiring up the r/r I will have to rewire the headlight and connect it directly to the battery. According to the Yamaha Manual wiring diagram the CDI is operated like a magneto off of a seprate pickup from the stator winding. So, it looks like the CDI wiring is not affected by disconnecting and rewiring the rectifier/regulator. Does anyone have any input on this? Has anyone done this mod to an '03 wr450? Thanks for any help guys. Steve

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted December 04, 2005 - 04:33 PM

I did the floating ground mod. I bought a Trail tech regulator. Not the bike only idles. If I rev it much above idle it just backfires out the exhaust and shoots flames. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of some sort? Thanks, Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.