Cooling Fan For 650R

11 replies to this topic
  • Bolts16

Posted August 09, 2002 - 11:18 PM

Is there a radiator cooling fan available for the 650R through Honda/HRC or any aftermarket companies?

• billyj7175

Posted August 10, 2002 - 12:55 AM

I was wondering when this subject was going to come up. I haven't ever seen anything aftermarket, but I would think that a quick stroll through a motorcycle salvage yard looking at various street bikes, would come up with a solution. I didn't check where you are from, but I do know that California models especially were equipped with them. You could rob the whole setup, temp sensor, fuses, connectors and all. I would think that you would only really need one fan to do the trick.
If not there, maybe Radio Shack, or even J.C. Whitney???
This brings to mind another issue...when I installed my Works Connection rad guards, I noticed that it looks as though they would restrict the exiting air through the radiators. I guess I don't ride enough slow-technical trails, so I haven't boiled mine yet, but I always do keep an eye on it. The guards do look like they would be an easy candidate for mounting a fan though.
Speaking of which...doesn't the Kawasaki KLR650 have a fan?

• qadsan

Posted August 10, 2002 - 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Bolts16:
Is there a radiator cooling fan available for the 650R through Honda/HRC or any aftermarket companies?

This has already been done by several "Do-It-Yourself" type people and one person even wrote up their details about doing this. Here's the link, but you'll have to also join XR650R Yahoo group to see it. to The BRP.doc

• Craig_Mitchell

Posted August 10, 2002 - 08:02 AM

I see that you live in Florida, which is a lot
warmer than Scotland, but are you certain that
your type of trails will need a fan. I have
owned my xr650 since April 2000 and have listened
all over the net to owners reports. Even from
owners in hot countries / states I have heard
next to nothing over the past 18 months about
needing to fit a fan. I presumned that this was
because all the North Americans had sorted
all their overheating issues by proper uncorking.

I think that after proper uncorking even the
tightest trails or the most dense traffic jams
will not cause the xr650r problems.

just my opinion, cheers, Craig

• Guest__*

Posted August 10, 2002 - 11:33 AM

buy yourself a 1.6 or 1.8 radiator cap and your xr will never boil over again.
no need for a cooling fan, just added weight.

• Dave61

Posted August 10, 2002 - 06:29 PM

The KLR 650 does have a cooling fan that does a great job. If you try a retrofit, besides the temp sensors and related equipment you would need to to power up the stator and probably add a battery to provide the extra electrical capacity required.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bolts16

Posted August 11, 2002 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I sure do appreciate it. The reason I asked is I am looking at purchasing a 650R and registering it to ride on the streets. It can get extremely hot in the afternoon where I live (Florida) and was concerned about damaging the engine because of high temps it would see in stop and go traffic.

• Guest__*

Posted August 11, 2002 - 08:07 AM

i'm from FL and my xr650r dont need no fan.
why don't you save yourself some $$ and buy mine?
'00 xr650r HRC kit...$3500 beans.

• DR.Zaius

Posted August 11, 2002 - 04:02 PM

I put a PC fan in from my old Mac. Works pretty damn good, gonna put another one on the left radiator as well if I see the need. I just have mine hooked up to a switch on the handlebars. When in tight stuff, I flip the switch on. When in the open, shut the fan off. It even stands up to being soaked with water, after it drys out. :)

• Ken_Jones

Posted August 11, 2002 - 06:36 PM

My ride yesterday caused my pig to overheat slightly after some rather rigorous half gear romping. Very very tight twisty stuff that requires very low first gear riding. I admit, this is not the kind of stuff the bike shines in, nor was it designed for I'll bet. In these types of situations you can ill-afford to slip the clutch much either, as this activity usually pushes her over the edge to the boiling point...! The PC cooling fan sounds like a great idea to me... :) What was the part # for that fan?

Ride on...!

• DR.Zaius

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:41 PM

Ken, just go to your Radio Shack and ask for a pc fan, and look for the highest CFM output for the fan, and that will be good. Only a few bucks at most, but I stripped mine from my mac....I knew it was good for something. :)

• heydude

Posted August 18, 2002 - 08:29 PM

A PC fan might be a little small as the normal size fan is 3''. Ask for a something like a 6 or 7 inch case fan, sometimes they are also called computer exhaust fans. thinkin about this is bringin me back to my watercooled overcocked dual processor super bedroom heater days. i love being a geek. Cooling system on that computer was almost as big as one on a honda civic.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.