Considering the YZ450F

5 replies to this topic
  • mxsjw

Posted October 19, 2004 - 12:14 PM

I have a buddy looking at a new 04 or 05 YZ450F or a KTM 525, any thoughts?

Shane

• Radbuster

Posted October 19, 2004 - 12:46 PM

The 525 feels lower, shorter, thinner and has great torque out of corners. Both have great reliability and with little upkeep will give the owner lots of trouble-free riding. I seriously wouldn't know what to pick, but am very happy with my 'ole '03. :cry:

• OHVrider

Posted October 19, 2004 - 02:03 PM

The KTM MXC/EXC has a button and the SX feels lighter. The KTM (at least my EXC) has much smoother easier to use power, the YZ has more hit, more 2-stroke like. YZ feels faster, KTM is easier to ride and I can ride it longer.

I ride my KTM much more, but have fun on both.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted October 20, 2004 - 06:02 PM

I liked the great smooth power on my 525SX, it also felt slim and turned well. With the lighter flywheel in 2003 it was sometimes painful to get fired up. The engine looked like from an old russian POS, and if you open up one you can find the machining, bearrings etc. are not even close in quality with the japanese bikes.
I also did not like the headshake KTM gave and the '03 had terrible suspension, really!

Yamaha feels heavier but it is bulletproof in enginedept. and never gives headshake, but then does not turn so well. I also like the 450F throttlefeel better, the 525 had somewhat light and nervous feel (flywheel too?). Guess I just was too color-handicapped, but I and my friends only have good experiences with blue. I could have installed the '02 or '04 heavier flywheel and a Scotts steering damper on the orange and upgraded the suspension, but after she broke my ribs it was time to go for blue again. That time also the orange had the bad quality russian titanium valve problems as they said, and I was perhaps a bit scared about a possible valve job too... :excuse me:
I like riding many other bikes like CRF's and RMZ's. but guess I am blue in color rest of my life. We all are so different, so you need to get your own colour-handicap yourself, and that goes from trial to error and costs every time OUCH! :cry:

• TexN343

Posted October 21, 2004 - 07:50 AM

If you decide on the Yz it depends on what style of rider you are. I heard that the 05 has really mellowed out in the low end this year. I have the 04 and the thing is a monster in the low end. You really need an aggressive riding style to ride it to it's full potential. I'm curious about the 525 myself here in another year I may try a KTM also if they ever fixed those valve stem problems. But the 450 is the love of my life right now and wouldn't trade it for anything.

• cms_austx

Posted October 21, 2004 - 07:03 PM

KTM's feel and handle weird to me. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I'd pick a Japenese bike just b/c I prefer the way they feel.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.