Cali guys, can you buy a plated bike from another state?

7 replies to this topic
  • r_dawg1021

Posted October 19, 2004 - 06:40 AM

Are you guys able to buy a 50 state plated WR and bring it into Cali? I've got a guy from Cali interested in my bike but wasnt sure what the rules were as far as the bike already being plated and brought into the state. Thanks for any info :cry:

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted October 19, 2004 - 06:48 AM

I bought mine plated from OR about 1.5 years ago, before all the bs. My conversion was simple. It could be easy or hard depending on the flunky at DMV. If the pink slip says motorcyle and they don't know what a wr 450 is than it will go smooth. It the pink says off road motorcycle it will be more tricky. They have cracked down quite a bit. Best thing to do is call the dmv and ask about the transfer. And check your pink slip.

• r_dawg1021

Posted October 19, 2004 - 07:00 AM

Thanks. What's this pink slip you're referring to? Is that the registration? If so, they chance the registration to be MC from it's previous state of being something else I can't recall.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 19, 2004 - 07:53 AM

Are you guys able to buy a 50 state plated WR and bring it into Cali?

Yes.... What Cali doesn't do anymore is DS conversions (on bikes with flagged Vin numbers).. Bringing in an out of state street legal WR is like bringing in a Honda Goldwing.. You're just moving a title from Oregon to California and not converting anything, a street bike is a street bike (in their eyes).

Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • r_dawg1021

Posted October 19, 2004 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll pass this on to the guy and hopefully get this thing off my hands :cry:

• Endurordr

Posted October 19, 2004 - 12:45 PM

Are you guys able to buy a 50 state plated WR and bring it into Cali?

Yes.... What Cali doesn't do anymore is DS conversions (on bikes with flagged Vin numbers).. Bringing in an out of state street legal WR is like bringing in a Honda Goldwing.. You're just moving a title from Oregon to California and not converting anything, a street bike is a street bike (in their eyes).

Dan

Well if this is the case then, what's to stop me from taking my Cali WR and registering it in Arizona for a couple months, dual sporting it in AZ, and then registering it back in CA? Can this be done? :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 19, 2004 - 01:36 PM

Well if this is the case then, what's to stop me from taking my Cali WR and registering it in Arizona for a couple months, dual sporting it in AZ, and then registering it back in CA? Can this be done?

Good question.... I'm pretty sure you can't do that (I could be wrong), if you bought your WR in California the Vin number states that it is a California OHV only motorcycle.. I forget the digit in the Vin that flags it, I believe it might be the 3rd or 8th digit that stops the DMV.. The out of state bike that we're talking about is from Oregon and is already converted to dualsport because Oregon has different laws than we do. The seller just wants to transfer the title to another person and not convert the bike into a streetbike. If you were to go to AZ with your bike I'm sure you'll have no problems getting an AZ plate for it but I'm not sure that the CA DMV will honor the transfer only because the CA Vin number throws a red flag..

Dan :cry:

• Endurordr

Posted October 19, 2004 - 02:35 PM

Very true. That's where getting a straight answer out of DMV is next to impossible.
But could you imagine if you ended up being the one who lives in AZ and bought a Dual Sport WR (CA model) in AZ and then moved to CA and the DMV said 'NO'? That would suck.
I've been round with DMV before and it really sucks!

If I were you I would try to possibly get something in writing, this state seems to have it's head up it's A** a lot of the time. You'll call 3 different people and get 5 different answers. Good luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.