removing engine without draining oil??

15 replies to this topic
  • SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted October 18, 2004 - 10:20 PM

i am in the process of removing my engine so that i can paint my frame. i just changed my oil about a week ago and havent even got a good ride on it since. is there any way that i can remove the engine without draining the oil. or at least without drainging all of the oil? thanks for the help guys.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted October 19, 2004 - 06:27 AM

Drain the Oil......

You are going to have to disconnect the frame connection anyway. Oil is cheap... but makes a hell of a mess if the motor gets knocked over by accident.

Bonzai :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2004 - 12:00 PM

Unless your bike sat for more than a week, most of your oil will be in the frame. There's a check valve to stop it from running right back to the engine, but over time, it will leak past the oil pump.

Like the man said, drain it.

• Butta

Posted October 19, 2004 - 12:38 PM

I agree....took my shattered motor out after draining what I could, and when the oil lines were removed a bunch of oil came out. What a mess.... hindsight? Drain it really good.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 19, 2004 - 02:09 PM

Unless your bike sat for more than a week, most of your oil will be in the frame. There's a check valve to stop it from running right back to the engine, but over time, it will leak past the oil pump.

Like the man said, drain it.

Actually the frame oil will drain completely in a matter of minutes. Next time you change the oil loosen the banjo bolt that connects the oil line to the crankcase under the oil pump. Watch just how fast that oil will drain. It's the oil pump and passages that slow the oil down.

And why arent you doing this already? :cry:

It's way easier to drain the frame by doing it this way, no clunky catch bottles, no flood on the floor when they fall, and not to mention the fact that by not draining that oil line you leave a considerable amount of contaminated oil in there every time you change it.

• Jeffro426

Posted October 19, 2004 - 02:52 PM

What, did you pour liquid gold in your motor or something?? How much is a quart of oil...a couple bucks tops unless your using synthetic...then you just need to be kicked anyways. Do yourself a favor, stay clean and drain the frickin oil!!

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 19, 2004 - 03:37 PM

I was thinking that very same thing. Liquid gold, bubblin crude, texas T, :cry:

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted October 19, 2004 - 03:47 PM

sorry guys!! ill just drain the oil. its not that the oil cost a lot, cuz it didnt, its just that i was wondering if i could do it without draining the oil. thanks for nothing i guess.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeffro426

Posted October 19, 2004 - 04:57 PM

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted October 19, 2004 - 05:03 PM

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

at the time i didnt think it was stupid or i wouldnt have asked it. :cry: and i didnt get stupid answers i got a bunch of smart ass remarks :cry: and maybe 1 or 2 helpful posts. thanks anways. ill just go work on my bike.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 19, 2004 - 05:16 PM

now dont go taking the ribbing personal or you're going to give us guilt trips. :cry:

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted October 19, 2004 - 05:18 PM

well geez, i was just asking you guys becuase, when it comes down to it, you guys know more than me(and i know that). so i ask and what do i get, a bunch of answers that make me feel like a dumbass. ill just remember to do it my way next time instead of seeing if you guys can help me out by telling me the right way to do it.

• ncmountainman

Posted October 19, 2004 - 05:29 PM

man my lower lip started to quiver after readin' this! :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2004 - 06:17 PM

Actually the frame oil will drain completely in a matter of minutes. Next time you change the oil loosen the banjo bolt that connects the oil line to the crankcase under the oil pump. Watch just how fast that oil will drain. It's the oil pump and passages that slow the oil down.

Not true. There is, as with all reasonably sophisicated dry sump systems, a low pressure check valve located between the oil pump and the oil filter to prevent it. You can see it in the right engine cover when the cover is off. It's only strong enough to hold against the weight of the oil, so the pump easily opens it once it starts running. Run your bike tonight, and pull your frame drain Friday night. Have a pan handy.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 20, 2004 - 02:55 AM

Not true. There is, as with all reasonably sophisicated dry sump systems, a low pressure check valve located between the oil pump and the oil filter to prevent it. You can see it in the right engine cover when the cover is off. It's only strong enough to hold against the weight of the oil, so the pump easily opens it once it starts running. Run your bike tonight, and pull your frame drain Friday night. Have a pan handy.

Actually we are saying the same thing. For some reason I misunderstood you to say that the check valve was in the frame.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 20, 2004 - 02:58 AM

well geez, i was just asking you guys becuase, when it comes down to it, you guys know more than me(and i know that). so i ask and what do i get, a bunch of answers that make me feel like a dumbass. ill just remember to do it my way next time instead of seeing if you guys can help me out by telling me the right way to do it.

Hey man, do not take any ribbing personally. If you do you will be cowering in the corner before it's over with. Toughen up ya little pansypants. :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.