New Rekluse Z-start clutch user

5 replies to this topic
  • vanisland

Posted October 18, 2004 - 07:52 PM

I've been reading all the post's on the Rekluse Z-Start clutch for the past few weeks and this sounded like the modification I could really use, so last week I odered the clutch and perch adjuster, received it in 2 days. I read the install instructions about 5 times and the install went pretty easy, the perch adjuster was more difficult, but was able to get it installed properly. I only had to make one adjustment to get it working properly. I think I got a bit lucky with this. I live on Vancouver island and have an 01 yz426. There are miles of logging roads and some very tight, hilly trails that give me quite a bit of trouble, I was glad to see I wasn't the only one having to fight this type of bike on tight trails. The clutch made riding these trails much more enjoyable, not having to stress trying to keep the bike from stalling. I found the post by GeogiaBoy very helpful in setting up the clutch and what to expect from the clutch. I have it setup with the light spring so it will engage just off idle. I went riding for a couple of hours this past weekend and I'm very pleased with the way the clutch has worked so far.
Thanks GeorgiaBoy.

• Dano426

Posted October 20, 2004 - 10:16 AM

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Rekluse. It will amaze you on every ride! The best part for me is no more arm pump! :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted October 20, 2004 - 01:45 PM

i thought i nailed it first time also,it worked great just for the heck of it i checked the install gap and it was way up at .047 so i had to replace two more discs with the thicker ones. what i'm sayin is make sure you check the install gap,i'm guessing that the people who have burned their clutches up are the ones who figured ah heck its workin leave it alone :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snow

Posted October 20, 2004 - 06:30 PM

Whats the intall gap does the clutch wear over time and you have to intall new disk????

• vanisland

Posted October 20, 2004 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the tip on checking the gap.
I noticed other guys have checked the install gap after riding for the first time. In the break-in and maintenance guide it only mentions doing this if you suspect your clutch is not engaging fully or you've installed new clutch plates. I guess it doesn't hurt to check as in your case where the gap was off by quite a bit. Did you find your clutch was slipping more than it should or there was more heat from the clutch cover than there should be?

• ncmountainman

Posted October 21, 2004 - 07:52 AM

no there was no hint of slippage,but yet the gap was way out i had called rekluse and asked them how far out could it go and still work and found that it was entering the danger zone. but once its set it stays until the clutch wears i think 60 hrs was the next time to check after initial seating. i also used my old clutch discs,apparantly the new plates break in and the balls wear into the seats is what changes the install gap. :cry:

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.