Rear Preload Adjustment Help

4 replies to this topic
  • BBD

Posted August 05, 2002 - 08:58 AM

Y2K 650R: How the heck does one adjust the shock preload? I can barely see the collars, let alone get at it. Is there a special tool? I hate using the screwdriver and hammer method, and I can barely get one in there as is. Do you have to yank the air boot?

Also, any thoughts about settings? I was just going to go for 100mm for my mix of trail and MX.

• jaybert600

Posted August 05, 2002 - 10:36 AM

The easiest way that I found is to loosen the locking collar and remove the rock guard, then physically turn the spring by itself to adjust (bike must be on a stand).

Hope this helps!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FooBarr

Posted August 05, 2002 - 04:24 PM

The only way I've found to adjust the shock is to remove the seat, muffler, & and side panels. Loosen the airboot on the carb. remove the top bolt of the subframe and loosen the two lower remaining bolts a few turns. Should be able to gently push the subframe back and down about 4-6 inches exposing the shock. I use a big punch and a rubber hammer, it tends not to eat up the locking rings as bad. 1 full turn is 5mm of sag. There's other good suspension info at:

If anyone has an easier method please post.

• Portland_650R

Posted August 06, 2002 - 08:32 AM

I do it the same way as others - take the right sidecover off, seat off, etc. until I can get at it. Then it's the ol' hammer and screwdriver...

• stonewall

Posted August 06, 2002 - 01:04 PM

Jaybert600 is right on. Just loosen the locking collar and turn the spring with your hand.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.