best air flter for 650r

5 replies to this topic
  • bigred650

Posted August 04, 2002 - 04:09 PM

what one is the best

• DR.Zaius

Posted August 04, 2002 - 05:49 PM

Well I don't have a 650, but I have found UNIs to be the best, although twinairs are very good too. :)

• Jamo

Posted August 04, 2002 - 08:14 PM

A good quality foam one ... unless you wanna dust your motor

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redrider650r

Posted August 05, 2002 - 04:30 AM

Im using a K&N and it seems to be doing well.

• billyj7175

Posted August 05, 2002 - 01:15 PM

I'm running a Uni-filter and my buddy is running the K&N. Performance-wise, there's no difference, although I question the K&N's sealing ability along it's outer edges. It comes with a small tube of "sealing grease" that you apply around the edges of the filter to hopefully form a seal. Now don't get me wrong, I've always been impressed with K&N's products, but this one, to me, just doesn't look like a good design. I prefer the foam type filters for applications like these where there really isn't a air box filter cover, but instead the side panel serves that duty with a tension clip and dzus type fasteners. Now in defense of the K&N, my buddy never has had any obvious leaks around the filter, but it only takes once to trash the top end. He still lives in Southern California and rides in the desert which, if ridden with a group, can be a very dusty environment to ride in at times.
So, in short, if you live in a dusty area, I would recommend the Uni. I've read in more than one place that the Twin Air is just as good.

• billyj7175

Posted August 05, 2002 - 01:28 PM

Oh, and one more thing...haha.
The K&N is definetely quicker, and easier to clean and oil. My solution to that is that when I bought my Uni, I bought two of them, (which about equals the price of one K&N) always keeping one cleaned, oiled and in a big ziploc bag. That way I always have a clean filter on hand, which makes filter changes about a 30 second job. I then clean the dirty one during the week and put it back into the clean ziploc bag ready to go. This is very advantageous when your buddies call you late friday night and want to go do that epic ride in the wee hours of Saturday morning...hahaha. I do a quick "preflight" where I check all nuts/bolts/fasteners for security, check the chain, engine oil, tire pressure, and throw in the clean filter, pack my gear, and I'm ready to go, which I've now gotten it all down in under 5 minutes...
Anyway, for the record I vote Uni-filter...8^)

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.