650R Dual Sport Gearing?

5 replies to this topic
  • 600ish

Posted October 18, 2004 - 02:45 PM

I have a friend who is in the process of dual sporting his '01 XR650R and he is running 13/53 gearing for woods riding and I was wondering what gearing would be a good compromise for on and off road. Would the stock 14/48 gearing be best? Or should he go up to a 15 tooth up front. I know someone out there has all of the answers. Thanks

• qadsan

Posted October 18, 2004 - 03:04 PM

I would think the stock 14/48 would be a very good compromise, especially since it's stock. The 15/53 is pretty close to 14/48, but you'll get a little bit more speed in each gear with the 14/48. If you're out for a day where you're going to be woods riding and want that lower gearing, then you can simply change the front sprocket and run 13/48.

• tirebiter

Posted October 18, 2004 - 06:36 PM

14/48 will work ok, I've ran 15/47 on mine for dual-sport use with no problems... keeps the front wheel from lofting at will, but totally cool for high speed DS riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted October 18, 2004 - 07:51 PM

My 650R has been dual-sported for three years, and I've always run the stock gearing of 14/48, which works great.
I tried the 15/48 once, but the stock chain was too short, and even with the wheel pushed as far forward as possible, the chain would still not fit. If I had forced it, then it would have been too tight anyway.
A lot of guys say they run 15/48 on the stock chain, which makes me wonder if Honda has stock chains of varying lengths on these bikes. Because I know it won't work on my bike.

• Roll_it_on

Posted October 18, 2004 - 08:31 PM

I've never had any problem running with a 15 tooth front sprocket on my bike with the stock 48 rear. 15/48 works great for dual sporting and then I switch to a 13 tooth for dirt only work :cry:

• oldoutdoorsman

Posted October 18, 2004 - 08:48 PM

Maybe stretched chains? My 13/50 is tight i'll have to go back to 48 if i want to put the
14 back on it'd be tight with 15.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.