New to forum- 88 xr 600 problem

8 replies to this topic
  • xzvs

Posted July 30, 2002 - 03:11 PM

Hi all :) I just got an 88 xr 600 saturday. Have ridden it a few times, but just got it registered and street leagal. Anyway, it has a piston and cams upgrade that I know of. I started it today and took off for work and it just died. Funny bit is it idles just fine, any throttle at all and poof it kills. I bought it from my neighbor and before he sold it to me, he told me it had done this to his son. He put a new pick up coil (heard somewhere that it was a common problem) or the likes in it and had ridden it a few times, as have I,-- no problems and assumed it was fixed. Does anyone here know what the problem is or where I should start looking?

• XR6's_rule

Posted July 31, 2002 - 02:10 AM

Sounds like a repeat of the "XR600 pops and dies" thread. The same problem and cure will apply! Check it out. :)

• xzvs

Posted July 31, 2002 - 03:57 AM

Will have a look, but I thought his just stalled at idle and ran fine otherwise. Mine idles fine and doesn't pop. It just wont do anything else but idle --any throttle at all and it dies. Thanks :)

[ July 31, 2002: Message edited by: xzvs ]

• xzvs

Posted July 31, 2002 - 06:10 PM

Well I guess I will open up the carb here as soon as I get some time. My feeling is its got trash in the main jet. I work on cars for a living and will figure it out eventually on my own. Was kinda hoping someone here had gone thru this and could help me out in the right direction. I have to heal up too first --it kicked back on me and sprained my ankle pretty bad. One day Limpy Mc Hopsalot will ride again :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted July 31, 2002 - 09:04 PM

I will repost for you:

This is a common issue on the XR6 bikes. You can solve the issue with a edelbrock carb for sure!
But start by first replacing all the vent hoses off the carb and the Ts. make sure they are routed up properly so that any gas can escape up. doing that made a big difference on my bike.

Second, change the plug, adjust the valves.

Third, step the jetting up on the pilot like suggested.

lastly, run the idle about 500rpms higher than you normally would. This helps quite a bit on that problem

• xzvs

Posted August 01, 2002 - 12:46 PM

okay but i was rolling at about 30mph in second gear over 1/4 throttle when it died. Its not necessarily a flat spot. It acted like it ran out of gas or the spark quit. First kick it started back up but now will only idle.

• xzvs

Posted August 01, 2002 - 01:43 PM

aha!!! think I found it-- Main jet was not clogged--the main jet flat fell out. Will put it back together and give it a try here in a few. I have my fingers crossed :)

• xzvs

Posted August 01, 2002 - 02:36 PM

Yup --bingo! runs bettern ever now. Thanks to those who replied :) Im am pretty sure this thing is tricked out to the gills. longer rear swingarm new front suspension , new tripleclamp and bars. I have a pic of it at http://prod.bsis.bel...54548bikeg5.jpg

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: xzvs ]

• 85350x

Posted August 07, 2002 - 07:00 PM

WOw, I thought I was tho only on that has had that happen,, it happened to me twice with my xr500,,, the main jet just fell out, It got me on the trail though,, thank god for tool belts, lol

82 XR500R
85 XR350R
85 VF700F
86 XR80R
94 XR600R

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.