Sound testing XR650R (long)

1 reply to this topic
  • dr_penner

Posted July 28, 2002 - 05:08 PM

Hi everyone,

This post is to relate my experience with sound testing my XR650R. I used a Radio Shack sound level meter which measures decibel output from 50 to 126 dB. I attempted to recreate the USFS test with the device held 20 inches from the exhaust tip at a 45 degree angle to the long axis of the muffler. I was rather surprised with the result.

My understanding of the measured output of the two Honda baffles was that the stock restrictive baffle was 82 dB and that this was to allow Green sticker certification in California. I assume that this was measured in the above fashion with the engine revving to some percentage of maximum. I have heard that this Green sticker test for manufacturers instead is done as a drive-by test at a different distance.

Likewise I understood that the HRC competition baffle is designed to meet the AMA racing limit of 99 dB and that this likewise was to be measured from 20” (or am I wrong?) at a certain percentage of max RPM.

When I did my somewhat amateurish test at 20” and 45 degrees I was surprised to find that the stock baffle registered ~73-75 dB AT IDLE! And it took only a tiny increase in RPM (barely cracking the throttle) to get to 82 and above. Even numbers in the 90’s were achieved by briefly gassing the engine; I don’t think I got beyond the midrange.

Later I plugged in the competition baffle and was aghast at the large increase in noise. I immediately expected gendarmes to descend upon my home for ever tampering with an engine in such a sinful fashion. Well maybe not, but you know how people are.

More precisely it reminded me of those open piped Harleys that I loathe so much. Not the exhaust note, just the volume. The character of the sound I adored. Very throaty and macho. More basso profundo. I was surprised that my wife didn’t hear it in the basement of our house; I was in the driveway. Mind you every door and window was closed for the A/C.

The numbers I found for this baffle were even more disheartening. Idling gave me numbers of ~101-103 and gassing it brought it over the 110 mark. Dejected I set out to modify the competition baffle as has been described previously on the Yahoo XR650R group (author “rat4go” :) .

1) That competition baffle is much too loud as is for dual-sport use. Sure would sound nice if it weren’t so loud.

2) I can’t seem to recreate the numbers of the testing method above. I wonder what I’m doing differently.

Mind you the Green sticker test and the AMA competition test likely have entirely different testing methods. It just seems that I’m not in the same ballpark.

Kurt Penner

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted July 28, 2002 - 05:42 PM

I just completed the XR650R group mod to the competition baffle. First I cleaned the baffle in gasoline to remove all the soot. Roughed up the inside of the tube with metal grade sandpaper.

Cut the plumbing pipe (1-1/2" diameter) to a length that did not extend into the screen area, only long enough to fit into the solid steel section of the baffle. Cut the downward curving end to a nice contour, finished with a drill and grinding stone. Roughed up the tube. Used a single wrap of stainless steel wire to keep the pipe centered in the 1-9/16" baffle tube. Used JP Weld to bond the two together.

Looks nice. Forces the exhaust toward the ground instead of creating the omnidirection noise pattern of a straight pipe. Very noticable reduction in noise.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  47 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

new xr600r rider by spillway_rider

• 19 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.