Engine Cooling

2 replies to this topic
  • RunAnywhere

Posted July 27, 2002 - 03:48 AM

I'm just breaking in a 10.25:1 Wiseco and a high performance cam. I have an IMS so I installed a remote oil filter to help cool. Now that I've jumped 2.25 points of compression, my concern is back on my overheating problem. Isn't there a bolt on shroud somewhere?

Please help with input, I'd hate to start another rebuild.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billyj7175

Posted July 27, 2002 - 10:24 AM

I'm not sure which bike that you're talking about, but I'm assuming its the XR600 since you mention the IMS 4.6.
To address your cooling issue, I have seen several 600's with a XR400 oil cooler that mounts on the headstay of the frame, right underneath the headlight. I saw this setup for sale on some XR website, but I don't recall what the name of the site was. I do remember that it cost around $400 though.
I'm no guru, but I would think though that if the jetting was correct, and the oil filter was in the right way, you really shouldn't have a overheating issue, unless you run at wide open throttle all of the time. Either way, good luck and I hope you get it figured out. Back when I was in my teens, I had a XR250 that I thought was overheating, but it turned out that some silicone sealant had broken off from the valve covers and plugged a journal, and slowed the oil supply to the camshaft, and the cam seized in it. I've heard of XR6's doing this with the oil filter installed backwards.

• RunAnywhere

Posted July 28, 2002 - 03:39 AM

Thanks, Billy...

It's a 93650L. I already have one remote oil cooler. My concern with a second would be pumping those extra 2 quarts through 8 foot of line. I found cooling fins that are supposed to drop the temp. by 30 degrees for $250. It still seems that there should be a shroud.

Of course, several people say the right jetting is all it needs. I tend to agree, but hearing from someone with similar exp. would make a $650 gamble seem a bit less like gambling.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.