650L repair ?

13 replies to this topic
  • Wolfgang

Posted July 23, 2002 - 02:57 PM

I need help guys. I went out riding last weekend with my 650L and noticed after parking the bike for the day that there was a small puddle of oil under it. After looking closer I found that a stone must have shot up off of the front tire and cracked the left side crankcase cover. I’d like to swap it myself rather than paying the dealer to do it, but I need to know if there’s anything tricky that I should know about before pulling this cover. I noticed that the clutch linkage goes through the cover and also the starter and starter gears. Anything to worry about, or is it pretty self-explanatory? Thanks guys! Mike

• Ken_Jones

Posted July 23, 2002 - 05:00 PM

Hey Mike, my sugestion, if the hole is pretty small, is to get some "JB Quick" weld and try that. This stuff works amazingly well, I've seen trail side repairs be permanent. Just clean the area real good first. Otherwise, it is a little tricky...

• Wolfgang

Posted July 24, 2002 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the input Ken. I did think of trying some of the stuff. The problem I have with it is that my bike is only has 700 miles on it, and the thought of patching the sidecase I just couldn't accept. Although it would be the quick, easy and cheap way out of the situation, I'll just have to learn a lesson from this and buy a new cover along with a skidplate. It's also for piece of mind. If I patched the crack, I know that every time that I came to a stop I'd be looking at it to see if it's still there. Thanks again, Mike

• Thumpster

Posted July 24, 2002 - 04:37 PM

Wolfgang,

Yes try the JB weld, you've got nothing to lose. If it leaks then you can fork over the cash for a new part. Drain the oil or lay the bike on it's side while the JB weld drys, clean the area up well before you apply the goo!

• Jim_Scheide

Posted July 25, 2002 - 04:15 AM

Hey Mike! Bummer on the cracked case, but Baja Designs sells a sweet skid plate for your XRL that's under $60.00. I just installed one last week on mine & it's really nice...goes almost all the way back underneath to the rear shock linkage with great protection up front too!! Honda should install something stock on this bike!! Even a cheesy alloy stock plate would have probably saved your case...Ride on Brother!!

• Jim_Scheide

Posted July 25, 2002 - 04:18 AM

Hey Mike! Bummer on the cracked case, but Baja Designs sells a sweet skid plate for your XRL that's under $60.00. I just installed one last week on mine & it's really nice...goes almost all the way back underneath to the rear shock linkage with great protection up front too!! Honda should install something stock on this bike!! Even a cheesy alloy stock plate would have probably saved your case...Ride on Brother!!

• Wolfgang

Posted July 25, 2002 - 05:45 AM

Hey Jim, It's good to hear from you. I've been eyeing up that Baja Designs skid plate, it looks like one of the better one's out there. I'll most likely go with the same one. I'm really bumed out about the case cover though. I have all of the parts needed to uncork the beast now, except the FMF Q. I called BD and told them what pipe I was planning on running and they hooked me up with the correct jets for that pipe. My next purchase was going to be the Q, but now the case cover kinda throws a wrench into things, literally. I just may take the advice from Ken and Thumpster and try the JB Weld. Even if it's just for now so I can free up some money and get the pipe. I can always go back later and swap the cover. I just can’t wait anymore to feel the 650L at 100% torque!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wolfgang

Posted July 26, 2002 - 05:32 PM

Hey Guys, Thanks for the advice on the JB Quick. I decided to give it a try and the stuff worked great. Now, I can get the bike uncorked and swap out the cover later down the road. Now where did I put that number for Baja Designs... :) :D Later, Mike

• Thumpster

Posted July 26, 2002 - 07:28 PM

Good to go, now you can go out and have some thumpin fun! :)

• Toasterovin

Posted July 26, 2002 - 09:46 PM

Let us know what you think of the bike after you uncork! We can't hear the words "awsome", "wow", "whata difference", and "where did all the power come from" enough. Don't forget to mention the wheelies!

-toast

• Jim_Scheide

Posted July 27, 2002 - 04:24 AM

Right on Mike!! Good decision on the JB Weld! Let me know if U need any tech tips on your modifications...I've got 4k on the XRL now...almost 3k after uncorking...the bike is running flawlessly!! Yo Toast!! Follow suit on our mods. & your XRL will be AWESOME without a huge amount of $$!! Unleash the beast within those 644cc's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Toasterovin

Posted July 27, 2002 - 05:07 AM

I have 8k on my '01 650L and I've had it uncorked for about 1200 miles now. Wow, wow, wow! The bike is running strong and I wouldn't ride anything else.

-toast

• reefshark76

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:27 PM

First post!

2001 XR650L

I have removed the bolts and broken the "seal" on the left side crankcase cover.  the cover is loose but wont slide off of the starter shaft.  I left the starter in place thinking the case would slide off.

Does the starter need to be removed to take off the left crankcase cover?

There is a wire and gramette in the cover near the netral switch & wire.  Can this be pulled / pryed out?

It looks to me that there is a clip inside the case holding the clutch lever rod into the cover?

any help appreciated

• brianhare

Posted June 24, 2014 - 03:05 PM

First post!

2001 XR650L

I have removed the bolts and broken the "seal" on the left side crankcase cover.  the cover is loose but wont slide off of the starter shaft.  I left the starter in place thinking the case would slide off.

Does the starter need to be removed to take off the left crankcase cover?

There is a wire and gramette in the cover near the netral switch & wire.  Can this be pulled / pryed out?

It looks to me that there is a clip inside the case holding the clutch lever rod into the cover?

any help appreciated

See your other thread i posted there............

B

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.