What are the major differences between 03, 04, and 05 XR650R?

8 replies to this topic
  • 4WheelingPlus

Posted October 16, 2004 - 07:34 PM

A local bike dealer has a new 2003 XR650R for sale. Asking $5200 plus tax, license, set-up, etc. It's very tempting but I am thinking I should pay the extra for the 2005.

What are the major differences between the 2003, 2004 & 2005 XR650R?

Thanks,
Ron Dunn Jr

• FlyByWire

Posted October 16, 2004 - 08:11 PM

The 'XR' on the tank shroud is Silver in the later models.

They havnt changed anyting on these bikes for years.

• BWB63

Posted October 16, 2004 - 08:40 PM

There are place' (John Burr cycles in Californian) That has sold 03' 4999 OTD! That's Out The Door! LA Honda is another. So, if you can bluff, spit, walk out the door till you get it for $5200 OTD then do it. :cry:

• fourstrokin650

Posted October 16, 2004 - 09:39 PM

BNG (Bold New Graphics), which as already stated, are not even that Bold. The bike is so good, they dont need to change anything. Shop by price. Buy a sticker kit, if you want, and know one will know what year it is.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted October 17, 2004 - 09:08 AM

I would think they would come down more than that on a bike that is going to be 2 years old soon even though it is new. I bought my 03 in Dec. of 2003 for $4999. Nothing has changed on the bikes like was said. I have heard of poeple buying these bikes as low as $4500 new as left over year models. I would try to get the 03 if you can get a deal on it.

• roadcam

Posted October 17, 2004 - 10:39 AM

I have read where the very first year of XR650R had an oil seal, (not sure, but think it was a seal behind the countershaft sprocket), that failed during the Baja race, and engine was destroyed by oil loss ... I believe I also read where the seal culprit was corrected on the later models ... worth asking the dealer about ...

• resslera

Posted October 17, 2004 - 12:06 PM

I just picked up a new 03 650R for $4499 out the door at Honda of Chanute in Kansas. Yes, I got hit on taxes back in my home state but it was still aroun $4700 if you include the taxes I had to pay to make it street legal and licensed.

• 4WheelingPlus

Posted October 17, 2004 - 07:29 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the great info.

I have been dreaming about it all weekend and I am going in tomorrow for another look.

I may offer $5200 OTD and see if they bite.

One more silly question... :cry:

I had knee surgery on my right knee in Feb. It's healed to better than ever but I have a small concern about kick starting that big of a bike. How hard is it to kick start?

My 2004 XR650L has electric start so I am spoiled.

I see that Baja Designs makes an add on e-starter but that is more $$$ and more weight.

- Ron

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 17, 2004 - 08:15 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the great info.

I have been dreaming about it all weekend and I am going in tomorrow for another look.

I may offer $5200 OTD and see if they bite.

One more silly question... :cry:

I had knee surgery on my right knee in Feb. It's healed to better than ever but I have a small concern about kick starting that big of a bike. How hard is it to kick start?

My 2004 XR650L has electric start so I am spoiled.

I see that Baja Designs makes an add on e-starter but that is more $$$ and more weight.

- Ron

Ron, if you follow the procedure for kick starting these bikes its a piece of cake. If you don't follow the procedure it will be a pain. So it's a no brainer, follow the procedures. Make sure you install the power up kit before you start kicking it.

Oh yeah, they had a bad run of seals behind the counter shaft sprocket on the early models. That has been corrected and there was a flaw in the design of the early clutch guide bearing which has also been corrected. Niether of these problems is in an 03 model. Other than that from 2000 its first model year to 2005 the only difference is graphics.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.