XR650 on the Drag Strip?

6 replies to this topic
  • Toasterovin

Posted July 15, 2002 - 10:09 AM

I watched my brother race his 2001 ZX9 on the drag strip the other day. I was kicking myself for not bringing my 650L. I seen a couple four wheelers zip down the track, but no dirt bikes. I seen a 660 four wheeler smoke some stags, it was pretty slick! I don't really care what people say, but my 650L will be going down the drag strip in a few weeks. I hope I can keep the front end down!

Has anyone ran their 650 down the drag strip? What kind of results did you get (speed, time, ect.)? Any tips?

• Fender72

Posted July 15, 2002 - 12:02 PM

Go Toaster! I've never seen a 650L on a drag strip before but good luck!

Don't forget to post some pictures!

• redrider650r

Posted July 16, 2002 - 12:32 PM

I've seen my 650R side by side w/another 650R
on the Sand Drags @ Glamis. 5th gear pinned!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Toasterovin

Posted July 17, 2002 - 02:42 AM

I am trying to figure out which day to use as a vacation day. I know I will be going on a wednesday. They have a circut where you get 3 free-bee trial runs and then you race to win. Once you lose one race you are sent home. I've been practicing my take-offs, man is it hard keeping the front tire planted. I would imagine the key to winning is keeping the wind drag down, and the front tire on the ground.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted July 17, 2002 - 07:05 AM

Can you get a good start in second gear? Seems that would help keep the front down at take off. Best of luck,

• RedThunder

Posted July 17, 2002 - 12:06 PM

If your gearing is low enough, you could probably start in 2nd. I could on my XR650R, but it wouldn't launch very quick.

Anyway.....Try to keep your weight as far forward as possible--head over the handlebars, feet as far in front of the footpegs as you can get them. Avoid "dumping" the clutch hard, its better to slip it more than you think you should. Once you're moving, just keep the weight forward and hang on!!! Might try shifting from 1st to 2nd with your heel.

I always wondered what kinda 1/4 mile and 0-60 times my XR would have done.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: RedThunder ]

• katoooooom

Posted July 23, 2002 - 02:59 PM

14.20's at 91 mph,the air temp and alt. caculated out to about 5800 ft of elevation. 2nd gear felt faster but did not e.t. as well,try to find a section of the track to the side of the main tire tracks to help the tire slip a little off the line,this will get the rpm up in the power range quicker and keep the front tire from lofting in the air,good luck!

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.