Twin Air or Uni-Filter?

8 replies to this topic
  • Wolfgang

Posted July 09, 2002 - 02:47 PM

It's time to upgrade the air filter on my 650L and I'm not sure which is the better of the two? Has anyone experimented with both of these and compaired results? Also I keep reading about air filter cages. Does this apply to the 650L or just the 650R. Thanks!

• Perker

Posted July 09, 2002 - 04:10 PM

Not to change the subject but I'm about 20 miles north of you and looking for someone to ride with or swap riding area info with. I ride the woods trails, R.R. beds and coal banks. Have you been to Moosic Mt. trails? I get pretty far out there alone and only the cell phone as riding mate makes me nervous. Back at riding after 20-year absence xr400. If not interested sorry for the intrusion.

Glen

• Wolfgang

Posted July 10, 2002 - 07:09 AM

Perker, I’m glad to hear from a fellow rider in the area. I just started riding in the E. Stroudsburg area about 3 months ago. I’ve found some trails that are close by me, but nothing to exciting. I ventured off a few weekends ago to Pohopoco Tract, which is in Monroe county near the Pocono Raceway. These are actually atv only trails, but I didn’t realize this at the time. I also was alone, big mistake on my part. First of all, I see why these trails are designated for atv use only. This was some of the roughest, rockiest trails I have ever ridden in my life. There was defiantly no enjoying the ride. And with the big 650L it was quite a struggle. To make a long story short I ended up getting lost back there. I stopped to look at a map, which I had in my fender bag and forgot to zip the bag closed before continuing on. Well, by the time I noticed this my cell phone and my tool bag were gone. Now, still lost, I’m trying to back track every trail that I had been down to located my lost items. I come cruising around a corner to find a big black bear blocking the trail I’m going down. Needless to say, I got that bike turned around pretty quickly and proceeded in the opposite direction. I ended up finding my tool bag, but never did find the cell phone. That was probrobly the worst riding experience I’ve ever had.
Sorry to ramble on, but when you mentioned riding alone with only a cell phone it made me think of that day. I’ve never been to Moosic Mt. Trails. Is it good riding? What town do you live in? I’d like to hear more about it. Later, Mike

• Perker

Posted July 11, 2002 - 04:37 PM

Wolfgang

I live in Gouldsboro, it is past the Tobyhanna Army base about 4 miles. There are about five ways to get here from Stroudsburg. Moosic Mountain is on 247 overlooking Dunmore and Scranton about 25 minute’s max from my house. The riding area puts you on abandoned railroad beds and coal mine areas. It has about every type of riding you want and goes for tens and tens of miles. You could even go to the New York border if you wanted. I prefer the abandoned RR beds and power lines. It has woods trails also. I was leery of being allowed to ride there but one day when I was off loading my bike two Olyphant Boro policemen waved to me (friendly) so it is definitely allowed. Some trails have had heavy quad use and are eroded and stony but you can nix them if you wish. The atmosphere is really cool and once in awhile you come upon campsites and skinny dippers when you least expect it. The one thing that I’ve heard is they look for illegal dumpers and the animal sacrifice crowd really pisses the cops off also. Lots of off road places to park. Once someone shows you the area it will get you started to explore. If interested let me know. I haven’t been out in about two weeks and looking to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wolfgang

Posted July 12, 2002 - 02:23 AM

Perker, Thanks for the offer. I'll get ahold of you ahead of time when I see an opportunity to get up that way. You should also try to get ahold of Ed Buratti, who is also a member on this board. He lives right in your area, I think he's in Wilkes-Barre. He also asked me to go riding with him, but unfortunatly I just haven't had the time to meet with him yet. Hopefully we can all find time to meet together and rip it up. Talk to you later, Mike

• Perker

Posted July 14, 2002 - 04:27 AM

Sounds like a winner. Give me a call when you can get away.

Perker

• Jim_Scheide

Posted July 15, 2002 - 03:33 AM

Hey Mike! Good results with the Uni Filter so far on the XRL...it comes with a metal internal cage to keep its' shape & fits perfectly with the stock mounting clip...glad you made it out of that hairy trail in one piece!! XRL's running like a champ, but the back tire's now a street slick from the addicting abuse of the 650s' TORQUE!!!

• Jim_Scheide

Posted July 15, 2002 - 03:34 AM

Hey Mike! Good results with the Uni Filter so far on the XRL...it comes with a metal internal cage to keep its' shape & fits perfectly with the stock mounting clip...glad you made it out of that hairy trail in one piece!! XRL's running like a champ, but the back tire's now a street slick from the addicting abuse of the 650s' TORQUE!!!

• Wolfgang

Posted July 15, 2002 - 04:14 PM

Thanks Jim, I can always count on you for input on the 650L. I'm just starting to gather the needed parts for the uncorking. I can't wait to get it done and feel the full power of the beast. I think I'll stick with the Uni-filter, big Jimmy would never steer me wrong. Thanks bro!! Have fun.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.