starting tips on a XR 400

3 replies to this topic
  • Kermit

Posted December 12, 2000 - 06:21 PM

My room ate just got a XR 400 we can't get it started any tips? Besides checking the plug...

• Hick

Posted December 13, 2000 - 07:02 AM

A friend of mine has one which I rode recently. I found that a few kicks at ¼ to ½ throttle before finding TDC and kicking in earnest w/ no throttle would get it to light every time. Initially (it was pretty cold) I had to start the bike with the throttle held ¼ open to get it to run.

Don’t know why but this is what worked, the choke didn’t help any but the bike was probably a bit rich at 4,000 ft.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted December 13, 2000 - 07:35 AM

I had a 96 XR 250. Should be the same starting drill.

1. No gas
2. Full Choke
3. Turn the idle screw in 1/2 turn

Put the piston at TDC (you don't need the decompression lever on any XR but the 600 IMHO) and kick it until it fires. Usually it will fire then die. Once it fires, turn the choke off and repeat above steps. It will light and the higher idle will keep in running until warm. Once warm, back the idle screw down and ride! Always worked for me.

• Kermit

Posted December 13, 2000 - 12:35 PM

We got it, man that thing is slow!!!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.