---can u cut down a FMF t4 pipe to make it shorter ????

28 replies to this topic
  • brown77

Posted October 14, 2004 - 11:56 AM

I have an 03 yz450 and it has a T4 FMF exhaust .its the long one .I want to know if anyone has cut the length of the can down say 4-5 inches ,so it wont stick out so far ???
I know on my crf with the stock pipe I cut it down and then put the promoto end cap on it .

Thanks alot

and I know it will change the power ,dont care

• revolucien

Posted October 14, 2004 - 12:05 PM

if it's anything like the factory 4, the screws that hold the end cap have brackets inside the can that would have to be moved to do it.

• brown77

Posted October 14, 2004 - 01:25 PM

I know I saw that and I dont know if you would have to cut the can and then weld it so you could use the part with the brackets ???

• NAFLASH

Posted October 14, 2004 - 02:05 PM

I cut 3 inches off the can on my stock exhaust and all i had to do was drill holes so i could rivet the end cap back on. how many inches is that FMF t4 exhaust because you dont want to cut too short, 4-5 inches seems like alot to cut off.

• brown77

Posted October 14, 2004 - 02:08 PM

17 inches

I know what you are saying about the stock one but the t4 is different it has allenhead screws holding it on form the tip .the stock on has rivets from the out side on the side of the can and the can is empty inside the t4 is different

• NAFLASH

Posted October 14, 2004 - 02:17 PM

hmmmmm that sounds like a pain, i wouldnt bother if it has all those brackets and stuff. Are the brackets holding the spark arrestor?

• brown77

Posted October 14, 2004 - 02:20 PM

ya I think I am going to leave it ,unless someone who has done it tells me how to

I might buy the stock pipe and cut it down
anyone in the bay area have one for sale??

• brown77

Posted October 14, 2004 - 02:22 PM

go here to see it pipe

• NAFLASH

Posted October 14, 2004 - 02:28 PM

i see,i was thinkin a bout cuttin down my Q pipe but its got all those brackets and spark arrestor stuff welded in kinda like the t4. Go to the for sale forum,im sure you'll find somethin floatin around

• bushy

Posted October 14, 2004 - 02:31 PM

How loud is the stock pipe when cut down?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wvbob

Posted October 14, 2004 - 03:12 PM

how does cutting down the stock pipe affect the power?

• brown77

Posted October 14, 2004 - 03:26 PM

I would assume that you loose lowend power ,kinda like a car is you take the exhaust off but leave the headers it looses lowend and gains top end ,I dont know how to tech. describe it ? its kinda like back pressure form the long exhaust gives it more torque

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted October 14, 2004 - 03:53 PM

i cut three inches off my stock silencer. it didnt make it that much louder, if any at all. also, it didnt seem to effect my low end or top end at all. maybe it was just so small of a difference that i didnt notice it. it does look better tho, only the PMB end cap sticks out.

• brown77

Posted October 14, 2004 - 04:04 PM

i cut three inches off my stock silencer. it didnt make it that much louder, if any at all. also, it didnt seem to effect my low end or top end at all. maybe it was just so small of a difference that i didnt notice it. it does look better tho, only the PMB end cap sticks out.

sweet :cry:

• NAFLASH

Posted October 14, 2004 - 04:10 PM

i did the same thing and im ordering the PMB end cap soon

• saucebox

Posted October 14, 2004 - 04:18 PM

I cut 4 inches off my stock exhaust as well and it had no affect on the power anywhere or the noise. Everything seems the same cept it looks way sweeter :cry:

• yamaman1

Posted October 14, 2004 - 08:36 PM

This is my bike with the stock exhaust and PMB with 4 inches cut off. I noticed a little bit louder and a little better low-end. Since then I changed it to a PC Ti4 cus I got it for real cheap. I love the shorty look though.

Posted Image

• brown77

Posted October 15, 2004 - 07:43 AM

I got board and pissed last night .I took the whole thing apart and figured out that you can take it apart at the other end (like when you repack it)so I cut 3 1/2 inches
off of the can and now it only sticks out about 3-4 inches past the side number plate
it looooooookssssssssssssssss so much better !!!!!!!! :cry:

• rws

Posted October 15, 2004 - 08:57 AM

Necessity [and bordom!] the mother(s) of invention/inovation! Good job! :cry:

• brown77

Posted October 15, 2004 - 09:02 AM

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.