Yz or wr

12 replies to this topic
  • TxRenegade

Posted October 14, 2004 - 07:26 AM

What is the difference in the WR and YZ, and 400,426, etc? I ride a Suzuki now but a looking at a Yamaha for my new race bike. I just started racing cross-country and need a lighter bike than my DRZ.
Thanks in advance.

• onekyoung

Posted October 14, 2004 - 08:44 AM

YZ - light, fast, well sprung
WR - kickstand, not as light, not as well sprung, not as fast, but has lights

• TxRenegade

Posted October 14, 2004 - 10:14 AM

Would a wr426f be a good woods bike? Or are the yzf's better?

• jhteneyck

Posted October 14, 2004 - 10:15 AM

dont forget about the following:
WR has a bigger gas tank. 2.6 gal vs a football
WR has a 5 gears - not 4
WR has a ride ratio tranny.

• bushy

Posted October 14, 2004 - 11:18 AM

98-02 YZ400/426's have 5 gears, but closer ratios.

• onekyoung

Posted October 14, 2004 - 12:14 PM

WR would be better for the woods; however, YZ isn't that bad either (once you toss on a FW weight). If you like jumping (one of my squidly guilty pleasures :cry: ) then the YZ is definately the ticket... If I had it to do over again I would buy a YZ that already had a DS kit already installed (or at least a bigger stator) and a KS (handy to have when there are no trees around to against which to lean...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chipstien

Posted October 14, 2004 - 04:22 PM

WR would be better for the woods; however, YZ isn't that bad either (once you toss on a FW weight). If you like jumping (one of my squidly guilty pleasures :cry: ) then the YZ is definately the ticket... If I had it to do over again I would buy a YZ that already had a DS kit already installed (or at least a bigger stator) and a KS (handy to have when there are no trees around to against which to lean...

It is much easier to make a WR like a YZ then to make a YZ into a WR. Just remember that. :cry: I have spent a fortune but I finally have a WR minus the wide trans. (which I would die for) A WR will feel and jump just as good as a YZ with the tank/seat combo and redone suspension. Then a simple adjustment of the cam and WALLA, a YZ with lights. :cry: :cry:

• 426mankiller

Posted October 14, 2004 - 04:27 PM

A WR 426 has retarded timing, wide ratio trans, bigger gas tank and an 18 inch rear wheel.

The yz 426 has a HIGH 1st gear so if you ride nasty technical 1st gear stuff get the WR. If you ride trails in 2nd and above, get the YZ and let it rip!!

• Butta

Posted October 15, 2004 - 03:57 AM

I think the next one I get will be a YZ, then I'll change it as I see fit. There is a thread about a drop in swap of the 4 speed tranny for the WR 5 speed as well. I think even if you did all the updates to make a WR more like a YZ, you still end up with a heavy, undersprung YZ. The money required to swap a YZ to more WR like would be in the tranny. IF you really really had to have lights (I've never used mine) then you'd have to throw in a stator upgrade. These are all personal opinions, of course. :cry:

• TxRenegade

Posted October 15, 2004 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for all the input; I am still looking at a couple of different bikes. How much difference in weight is there between the 2 bikes?

• bzakk

Posted October 15, 2004 - 06:52 AM

The yz is about 220lbs dry+oil and 1.8 gal of fuel
The wr is about 245lbs dry+oil and 2.1 gal of fuel

• ncmountainman

Posted October 15, 2004 - 07:26 AM

The yz is about 220lbs dry+oil and 1.8 gal of fuel
The wr is about 245lbs dry+oil and 2.1 gal of fuel

maybe in a perfect world(or japan) my 04 wr 450 weighed 269 lbs oiled up without gas. the "dry weight" yamaha gave for my bike was 247,so after adding 5 lbs for vital fluids that should be 252 right? wrong!!! after some research i found that yamahas dry weight is without tires!!!! only after removing 23 lbs did i get down to their claimed weight to start with. so one can only assume that the yz 450 weight is also somewhere in the high 240's race ready w/out gas.don't know where you get your info but mine came from a zeroed beam scale! :cry: :cry:

• bzakk

Posted October 15, 2004 - 08:51 AM

I pulled it off of the yamaha website. I didn't know that it was without tires. THAT IS WHERE I GOT MY :cry: INFO FROM.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.