Magazine Test of 2005 WR 450

36 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted October 16, 2004 - 04:28 AM

I walked once because of a woodruff key and Yamaha should have taken care of it. Motorcycle manufacturers are notorious for not fixing flaws after the sale. Look at Honda and the CRF valve problems.

• timvv51

Posted October 16, 2004 - 09:03 AM

When I found this forum I figured I never had to buy a magazine again. I'm lucky, never had to walk because of the woodruf key and from what they are showin of the Honda X so far its not enough to make me switch. If I did I would have to buy a bunch of new tall boy stuff (seat risers pegs) for a different brand instead of just swappin to an 05 WR. But I will say that I was pissed enough over the crappy starter to at least start thinkin orange.

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted October 16, 2004 - 09:33 AM

Man you guys have a shorter fuse than I do! I spent the $200 on that stupid starter update too, but the positives of the bike, by far outweigh the ONE negative I've had with it. Think more in terms of automobiles, I've had plenty of things to replace on cars that wasn't covered under warranty or recall. Is $200 all it takes to make you want to change allegence to another company, that in your minds, will be flawless? Go read the KTM and Honda forums, those bikes aren't without faults either, faults I might add that haven't been covered by the company.

I spend $200 in gas on a weekend to get to some of our riding places, I don't care that I had to drop it once to make the bike more reliable. I really hope that all you nay sayers keep bringing up the starter issue, and eventually drive the price down on the '03s so I can buy two more for peanuts and pocket lint. Then I can have a spare woods bike, and a super moto.

Sorry for the rant, I know the $200 bucks really burned some of you, I'm just sick of the bickering. If you want something to ride trails that you won't ever have to stick money into.....then get a horse.
Enjoy your time with the shovel! :cry:

• beezer

Posted October 16, 2004 - 05:00 PM

It wasn't the 200 bucks it was Yamaha pretending nothing was wrong.

But they all do it.

I agree its a great bike.

• timvv51

Posted October 16, 2004 - 06:45 PM

Great rant Digital. I guess we do go into turbo whine sometimes. I also love my bike. What caused me so much consternation was all the riding and worrying about getting stranded I was doing before the fix was done and the fact I was not able to take it on a trip to Moab. As far as picking up 03s at a good price I will look you up when I get ready to buy my next Yamaha which I hope will be soon. As far as autos I cant think of anything that has gone wrong on any of my new autos that wasnt covered in a reasonable warranty. There now I have jinxed myself. Tim

• Math

Posted October 16, 2004 - 07:42 PM

Good Lord, the wr was about the only thing in this world that was fitting my height in stock version... cars have no space for legs, countertops are too low, even xl t=shirts are not long enough... would you please give me a break and leave the wr its height. :cry:

• onelugnut

Posted October 16, 2004 - 08:36 PM

I got to look at one today.I dont have much to compare it to I ride a DRZ 400.It was not as top heavy as the DRZ but When I picked it up off the ground it didn't fell to much lighter than my DRZ just smaller and more compact.The grab handles on the sides where nice.The bike did not feel tall at all.The seat was hard and the handle bars where too low.

Now I need to look at a KTM 450 exc :cry:

• blireef

Posted October 17, 2004 - 10:37 AM

$200 for starter upgrade, "no problem" I really like my 03WR and don't see anything out there I'd trade it for. Go out for a 150 mile ride in Baja, Clean the bike up, lube the chain and you're ready for the next ride, Change the oil every other ride (1 quart, big deal!) It doesn't get much easier than that for the kind of preformance you get. Checked the valves after one year and 2500 miles, they were perfect!! I'm 240 and the bike doesn't feel heavy to me, you "spinners" may have a problem, and the height of the bike is perfect. Like I said in an earlier post if you want an Orange one or a Red one or a Green one, go buy it!! It'll take more problems than I've had to make me want to switch.. Just my $.02. :cry: Jim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted October 17, 2004 - 01:37 PM

$200 for starter upgrade, "no problem" I really like my 03WR and don't see anything out there I'd trade it for. Go out for a 150 mile ride in Baja, Clean the bike up, lube the chain and you're ready for the next ride, Change the oil every other ride (1 quart, big deal!) It doesn't get much easier than that for the kind of preformance you get. Checked the valves after one year and 2500 miles, they were perfect!! I'm 240 and the bike doesn't feel heavy to me, you "spinners" may have a problem, and the height of the bike is perfect. Like I said in an earlier post if you want an Orange one or a Red one or a Green one, go buy it!! It'll take more problems than I've had to make me want to switch.. Just my $.02. :cry: Jim

Exactly! :cry: Despite a few issues. Once fixed this bike is the most reliable of all the colors available! :cry:

• simch

Posted October 18, 2004 - 03:44 AM

That's Ricky Gervais, playing "David Brent" in the hit UK TV show "The Office". Its been on in the US and Canada I know, but not sure which channels. Its a spoof documentary about day to day life in a paper distributor, based in Slough West London.

Very clever show, and his "dancing scene" is a commedy classic now! :cry:

• CraigW

Posted October 18, 2004 - 10:35 PM

Yamaha upgraded my 03 model to the 04 spec even though my bike never had a woodruf key failure.

Thats why I still have 3 Yamaha products in my garage.
Guess in my case whining like a stuck pig + I know people in the right places really worked. :cry:

• sigurd

Posted October 19, 2004 - 04:12 AM

Hello all. As you can see I'm new to this site. I have ridden my KX500 for the last ten years and love it. My buddy let me ride his 04 WR450 at Gorman earlier this year and I told him that would be my next bike. I'm 6'0 and I agree, it was a little top heavy. However, not enough to bother me. I fell in love with that bike instantly. Anyway, I walked into Motoworld last night and they had two 05 WR450's Green sticker ready right in front of me. People were all over the bikes oohing and aweing. My buddy who is a saleswoman there said she could give me a break on the bike even with the three month wait. Guess what, its now in my garage and I will be riding it in the desert in about three hours from now :cry:. I will let you guys know what I think. Oh, I did order an IMS desert tank while I was at the shop. Man, wait until you see the stock tank. It looks like it will get you around the block. Any 04 owners know what range they have on thier bikes? Also, please tell me they fixed this woodrift key issue. I dont want to walk anywhere. In addition, whats up with the starter? I hope they fixed that as well. I did not know I would be a ghinny pig when I bought the thing but I will let you guys know very shortly. I live in San Diego, so the whole Green sticker thing made me take it home. I'm sure I will be looking for ways to remove or alter the smog stuff shortly. I really dont know anything about these bikes. What do you guys recommend for my first mods as a class A trail rider?

Thanks for any input, and I love your board.

James

• simch

Posted October 19, 2004 - 05:19 AM

...its YOUR board too now, buddy!! :cry:

Posted October 19, 2004 - 05:21 AM

All I know is Yamaha addressed all those problems with the 03's to the 04's. I can't tell you a lot about these because I just bought a new 04' but believe me I have read a heck of a lot here on TT!!!! Do the free mods first. Glad you went BLUE!!! :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 19, 2004 - 08:03 AM

the whole Green sticker thing made me take it home.

That's what Yamaha wanted to hear. Kudos to Yamaha for making the bike green sticker. Of course we're gonna de-smog the thing.... :cry: :cry:

• chipwich

Posted October 19, 2004 - 10:01 AM

Congrats sigurd :cry:

Please pictures!!!

• pokey1

Posted October 19, 2004 - 08:59 PM

That's Ricky Gervais, playing "David Brent" in the hit UK TV show "The Office". Its been on in the US and Canada I know, but not sure which channels. Its a spoof documentary about day to day life in a paper distributor, based in Slough West London.

Very clever show, and his "dancing scene" is a commedy classic now! :cry:

Found it. It's on BBC America Thursday night. I gotta check it out. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.