buying an xr600

3 replies to this topic
  • pizzle600

Posted October 14, 2004 - 12:02 AM

Im looking at purchasing another xr600 and im wondering specifically what things to look out for, in terms of this specific bike. The bike im looking at right now is a 1992.
thanks guys... :cry:

• JMC

Posted October 14, 2004 - 06:26 PM

I was in the same boat about a month ago. After a long time on other "higher tech bikes" I wanted a good family trail bike to take it easy on. It has been a long time since I owned a xr so I can't tell you what to exactly to look for but I can tell you what I found. Been looking for a while, bought a 98 xr 600 off a fellow tt'r. Went to look at it (5hrs away) and found a C+/B- on the ABCD scale looks wise. I'm picky. Seemed to run great though- no smoke, good comp., shifts great, clutch great, no ticking from the top. I have heard some xr's lose 3rd gear so that was on my mind. Small leak above the spark plug, seal? All the real high dollar stuff seemed ok so I figured I am starting w/a solid unit. Needs whl. bearings, tires next season, brake pads and some sprucing up the plastic. I find now that some of the plastic is quite expensive so don't dismiss it when dickering on a price. I like the guy I bought it from, honest, decent guy so I gave 1600.00 for it. May not be a steal but a good buy none the less I figure. Check that 3rd gear (make sure it does not pop out under load) check for leaks, ticking/knocking, do comp. test if poss. make sure it shifts tight and the clutch does not drag too much. Remember the poss cost of the plastic stuff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AzMtnThumper

Posted October 15, 2004 - 12:06 AM

http://www.bigbearbi...bbtr/xr600.html

• pizzle600

Posted October 15, 2004 - 12:48 AM

thanks guys.....that helps immensely :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.