Need help with friends bike making terrible racket

2 replies to this topic
  • DevilSpawn

Posted October 13, 2004 - 10:14 PM

Hi all, I need some advice. I'm trying to help out a friend who's bike suddenly started making a terrible noise while in my possesion. It is a 1997 XR650L. We were driving along a dirt road fairly slowly and came to a stop, the bike died at idle which is very unusual for this bike. Started it back up and went a little further then it died again. This time when it started back up it was making a loud knocking noise, it is there at idle and when you pick up the revs, seems to be louder on the right side. We shut it down immediatly but I don't know what is wrong. It is blowing a small amount of smoke when cold. I took off the valve covers and checked the clearance, it seemed to be ok *see below for my question on that. I was curious if oil was getting up there so I turned over the engine while taking each of the covers off one at a time. The two on the left sprayed all over and made a terrible mess, the two on the right I couldn't really see if any oil was there at all. Is this normal or should all 4 make a big mess? Anyone have any ideas what is wrong and what I should look for first if I start to take it apart?

*about the clearance. On my bike I have always kept sticking feelers in until one didn't fit and the one below that I declared was the clearance. The manual for the XR says to use the one that drags a little. That seems so ambiguous, there are about 4 different feelers I could say that about. How do you all go about checking the clearance?

Thanks guys!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted October 13, 2004 - 11:09 PM

I hate to ask this question, but you didnt mention it. Did the bike have enough oil in it when you were riding?

• DevilSpawn

Posted October 13, 2004 - 11:27 PM

Oh yes sorry good point! Of course the first thing I did after hearing the noise was to check the oil. It was splattered all the way up the dipstick so I figured it couldnt be too low. I checked it again after getting her back home and it was down about a half to 3/4 of a quart

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.