Fork seal quick fix question.

19 replies to this topic
  • surf450

Posted October 13, 2004 - 10:07 PM

I have read about the quick fix. I am going to try it. I have lost a lot of oil as of now. Should I fix it then drain it, and refill? Should I fix it then just fill up?

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted October 14, 2004 - 03:56 AM

I had one leaking the other day and I used the business card trick and it has stopped leaking. I didn't lose that much so I just want to add a little back to it through the bleeder screw. What is the easiest way to get the oil in that little hole?

In your case (surf450) I would probably drain and refill if you think you have lost a lot.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 14, 2004 - 06:42 AM

I have read about the quick fix. I am going to try it. I have lost a lot of oil as of now. Should I fix it then drain it, and refill? Should I fix it then just fill up?

depends on how old the fluid is - I prefer full service - removing, empty, clean, replace both seals - refill to 95cc's

my 2cents :cry:

• mx426

Posted October 15, 2004 - 06:11 AM

I would at least drain them and re-fill them. If it was dirt that was keeping the seal open, chances are that some of it got in your fork. New fluid never hurts anyway and you will be sure they are full. Also, try some seal savers and bleed the air from your forks after your ride, more frequently if you ride really hard. The seal savers cost as much as a new set of seals and since installing them and bleeding the forks regularly, I have yet to have another seal leakage problem. :cry:

• surf450

Posted October 17, 2004 - 08:05 PM

You all are the best. I was going to replace the seals, which maybe I should still do. But if I had replaced them I wouldn't have rode today. Instead I tried the quick fix. It worked. Saved me time money and a day of riding. Thanks.

• Yamaha35

Posted October 17, 2004 - 09:50 PM

This may not be a quick fix but it will save some money. There's a spring on the inside of the fork seal that holds it tight against the lower fork shaft. Cut 2mm off so it holds the seal tighter. Buddy just fixed a leaky seal this way for me. His lasted another year.

• 01yz426

Posted October 31, 2004 - 11:48 PM

I like the feeler gauge trick better......

• beechum1

Posted June 21, 2008 - 05:34 PM

and the link to the orig article is...???

• Ga426owner

Posted June 22, 2008 - 06:46 AM

When you guys get tired of rigging your bikes and want a seal thats different that out performs and outlasts the OEM's, give us a gingle. We got a 90 day garauntee to back you up with so you wont weep tears of frustration.

Ride with confidence again :thumbsup:

Rob

I agree Synergy fixed my oem problem once and for all. 90day guarantee is perfect :p

• gtxkid

Posted June 22, 2008 - 07:26 PM

Just pull the pre dust seals down and buy the cheep tool for cleaning.
Dealer has them on a cardboard display board behind counter.
They are blue with yellow letters.
Been out for a while.
Kinda like feeler gauge but will not damage anything.
I had to go to the seal saver covers and have not had a problem since.
Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kawboy388

Posted June 22, 2008 - 09:49 PM

Those blue seal cleaners are called "Seal Mates", but actually the 2 best things I've found to use are either an old tear off or the foil seal off of a peanut can. You probably didn't lose as much fork fluid as you think so add very small amounts back to it till it feels back to normal. A very small amount of fork fluid can make a very big mess.

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2008 - 10:21 PM

Those blue seal cleaners are called "Seal Mates", but actually the 2 best things I've found to use are either an old tear off or the foil seal off of a peanut can.

Business cards, cut in half lengthwise.

• DPW

Posted June 23, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Business cards, cut in half lengthwise.

tear-offs work good too

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2008 - 10:14 AM

What I like about the cards vs. plastic is that the fibrous nature of the paper, especially the cut edge, tends to grab and hold small pieces of grit, and pull them out of the seal, whereas the plastic strips just sort of push them out if you're lucky.

• motox100

Posted June 23, 2008 - 12:22 PM

Depending on how bad it's leaking you can sometimes get by taking the dust seal down, take a tear off or film negative and clean around the seal, spray the area with contact cleaner and re-assemble. I'd also feel the fork leg for burrs that caused it and sand them down.

• matt4x4

Posted June 24, 2008 - 07:03 AM

I always use film negative too - but yes - a used but clean tearoff will work too.

• NC_MX_KID

Posted June 24, 2008 - 07:24 AM

seems like alot of people are havign leaking forks seals on their YZs. maybe a bad set of seals from the factory

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2008 - 09:28 AM

The '06 YZ fork seals are a low drag design to enhance the smoothness of the fork in small amplitude motion by reducing "stiction" (static friction). The simple, obvious trade-off is that the seals don't as aggressively prevent small particles and surface inconsistencies from causing leaks.

If you ride in muddy conditions, be sure to clean the mud off the fork legs between rides/motos. Even water spots can initiate a leak.

If you look at page 3-34 of your manual, you will see that Yamaha recommends cleaning the seals after every ride day.

• matt4x4

Posted June 24, 2008 - 10:00 AM

NC-MX-kid - don't get the wrong idea - likely, many are posting this from experience because it's NOT a brand specific fix - mine haven't leaked, but my neighbour's Honda for instance has - which I fixed that way etc... - many here probably know this trick from before their YZF days too.
Just happens someone's YZF is leaking so we're all giving advice.

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2008 - 10:04 AM

NC-MX-kid - don't get the wrong idea - likely, many are posting this from experience because it's NOT a brand specific fix - mine haven't leaked, but my neighbour's Honda for instance has - which I fixed that way etc... - many here probably know this trick from before their YZF days too.
Just happens someone's YZF is leaking so we're all giving advice.

Not to mention that the first 7 posts in the thread are 4 years old.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.