free mods

4 replies to this topic
  • wantmorepower

Posted October 13, 2004 - 05:33 PM

what are the free mods that are out there for the wr450/wr426.such as a good jetting/intake combo. what is the throttle stop and grey wire cut mods i keep seing in various posts?

• WR_Dave

Posted October 13, 2004 - 06:26 PM

www.thumperfaq.com or "Search" function or the Garret Berg link

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Grandville

Posted October 13, 2004 - 06:38 PM

Free mods for my WR450 are; 1) richen the fuel mixture, to do this turn the pilot/idle mixture screw out from the factory setting of 1-3/4 turns out to 3 to 3-1/2 out, 2) remove the air box snorkel, you will need to take the seat off for this and as I remember, I had to attack it with a knife, 3) Remove the throttle stop and cut it in-half or replace it with a YZ part #5JG-14591-00-00, 4) Advance the ignition timing to YZ setting, to do this you need remove the seat and tank, on the right side CDI black box, the wire lead to a junction connector, cut the grey wire and the tape off the end, 5) pull the stupid cork out of exhaust tip.

However, the best thing I did to improve the preformance was put a Pro-circuit T-4 exhaust on the the bike. The T-4 is lighter than stock and is available with a tunable 96db. tip. This exhaust system made a huge difference in the low and mid range power.

I did these mods and others to my bike and I am totally thrilled with the results. I found these and other mod ideas on www.offroad.com/dirtbike/projects/wr450f.

Still other mods you may want to consider: is re-routing the breather hose to the air box and raising the forks 12mm. The fork raise makes the bike turn quicker in tight woods and seems to make the bike feel overall less top heavy.

finally, and I know I am rambling a bit, check some of the protective equipment from www.woodsblaster.com. There is a nice write up about woodsblaster in this months issue of Dirtbike.

• wantmorepower

Posted October 13, 2004 - 09:49 PM

schnikes! thats alot of stuff to do,well not really.anywhere i might find those parts such as the YZ throttle stop? if i replace the throttle stop with the one from the YZ,what advantage does it give me?will it fix the half inch throttle movement? what does cutting the gray wire do?

• BrianVivian

Posted October 16, 2004 - 02:54 PM

schnikes! thats alot of stuff to do,well not really.anywhere i might find those parts such as the YZ throttle stop?

The dealer where I bought my 05 has the YZ throttle stop in stock. They want $15 for it, which is dumb when you consider that it only takes 20 minutes to cut your stock one down.

if i replace the throttle stop with the one from the YZ,what advantage does it give me?will it fix the half inch throttle movement?

DO IT!!! If you like the way the bike runs stock, you're gonna wet yourself when you finally get full throttle.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.