Gas tank preferences

9 replies to this topic
  • Chimpy

Posted October 13, 2004 - 01:29 PM

I'm changing my stock tank to a larger (4-gal) capacity.
Any suggestions, Clarke vs. IMS ?

• jws

Posted October 13, 2004 - 01:33 PM

clarke 4.3 :cry:

Posted Image

jeff :cry:

• Chimpy

Posted October 13, 2004 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for your response !

• mikekay

Posted October 13, 2004 - 05:27 PM

Clark and IMS and Acerbis are all good. There is also Aqua from Australia--very cool--and very big, and a 10 gallon unit from Africa Queens, Germany....

Clarks are a bit narrower--good when standing up. IMS has 3 sizes so you have options--plus color choices--up to 7 gallons!

The Acerbis is also worth considering--their under the seat tank will accept the IMS or you up to 9 gallons with a slim design.

All are good. None is prone to major issues.

Expect to pay about $250 and up....

IMHO it comes down to what size you need.

3.6, 4, 4.6, 3.4/6, 7, 10 or 11 gallons....another thing to consider is running a Edelbrock carb. Set up properly you can get 10% or more additional milage...

so an 11 gallon Aqua with a lean edelbrock and mellow riding can give ya around 350 miles!

Not sure if the Acerbis 3.6 under the seat tank can go with a 11 gallon Aqua would be over 100lbs in fuel!

• BWB63

Posted October 13, 2004 - 05:47 PM

What ever you get you should like....I like my Clark 4.3 (holds more then that but, like all of them it's not all usable....ya, I know you can lay the bike on it's side) Costs $169 @ and jws or mike gave me a number of a place in Arizona that selles them for $145.
But, the IMS 4.6 is hard to get to the carburetor to adjust the idle.
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chimpy

Posted October 15, 2004 - 08:11 AM

Thanks much for your input on the tanks, I've decided on the Clarke 4.0. Looking foreward to using it next month in Baja. Good luck with your preperations for Dakar....Hold On!!

Kevin :cry:

• FlyByWire

Posted October 15, 2004 - 10:28 AM

I run the clarke as well.. Hey.. you can buy my whole bike... save you the insatall time.. lol.
Posted Image

• Husky_Forever

Posted October 15, 2004 - 02:43 PM

I've used the 3.3 IMS for racing and the 4.6 for Baja riding. Both work well, fit is great. The IMS 7.1 Australia tank is slim and good when not riding with a chase truck close by as well. Does the cute woman help or hinder gas mileage?

• BWB63

Posted October 15, 2004 - 03:03 PM

Keeps my engine running :cry: When I am near her the bike gets great gas milage! When I am riding and far from her it get real bad gas milage.....because it's wide open trying to get back! :cry:

• don87xr600

Posted October 15, 2004 - 04:15 PM

After staring at the picture of your "bike" for three hours I noticed your fork boots are installed incorrectly. LOL

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.